Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I've Got To Get A Dvd Drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 682 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 03 July 2008 - 11:47 AM

Getting a DVD drive is the only way i'll be able to Play FlightSim X, Civilisation 4, Silent Hunter etc which are only apparently available on DVD.
Shall I get a read-only one?
Or shall I spend a bit more and get a dual one that reads and writes (burns)?
Are duals more hassle to install and set up than read-only's?
The only reason I can think of for getting a read-and-writer is so I can save screenshots and pics from my hard drive onto CD's, will it be able to do that?
I see some DVD drives say '16X DVD read speed' on the box, is that fast enough or shall I get a faster one?
Are DVD drives easy to fit? I just unscrew the old CD-Rom drive and screw in the DVD drive in its place, right?

PS- you guessed it, I'm PC-illiterate (sniffle)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 03 July 2008 - 02:47 PM

Don't waste your time with just a reader. Burners are around $35 at newegg.com
Installation is easy. Just make sure the cable interface is the same, i.e. IDE (wide, flat cable) or SATA
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 03 July 2008 - 10:20 PM

DVDs and CDs are what are known as plug and play devices, they are that simple to install. If it is a IDE type (the flat ribbon connetor) then you need to be sure that the red stripe is on the right side as it is connected to the drive facing the rear of the drive. After it is installed the installation wizard will recognize it on the next boot and will find the appropriate drivers and assign them.

As previously mentioned, at the current price it's only a couple of dollars more to purchase a burner, it's worth it! Most all of them now a dual burners, meaning that they will play and burn both CDs and DVDs.

16x is plenty fast for burning, actually...slower speeds of burning can produce better results. Most software for burning will allow you to adjust the burn speed.

Installation...two screws per side to hold it in, one IDE calbe or SATA cable, and one power connection. With an IDE this changes if you are going to add a second drive on the same cable, you will then have to change the jumper to configure with the Master and Slave appointments and their respective locations on the cable.

Edited by dc3, 03 July 2008 - 10:22 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 682 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2008 - 01:08 PM

Okay I bought and fitted a 'DVD Rewriter' today and it works fine at reading game DVD's.
The next step is to try burning (writing) something on to a blank disk, but there are absolutely no instructions with it at all, crazy!
Furthermore, somebody told me the things can only write to blank CD's and not to blank DVD's, what's he talking about?
No problem,I'll just go and buy some blanks, which shall i get, blank CD's or blank DVD's?
Then how do I burn a picture from my hard drive onto the blank, I mean what buttons do I press?
Thanks

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 04 July 2008 - 01:31 PM

There is so much information out there, I would suggest Googling "How to burn a CD" and "How to burn a DVD" and read some choices at your leisure, then come back with any questions you have. The one thing I can tell you is don't go cheap when buying the disks. We can also link you to the various burning software you might need
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 682 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2008 - 12:39 PM

Okay thanks guys i'll psyche myself up and have a crack at burning at a later date..:)

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 05 July 2008 - 07:10 PM

Okay I bought and fitted a 'DVD Rewriter' today and it works fine at reading game DVD's.
The next step is to try burning (writing) something on to a blank disk, but there are absolutely no instructions with it at all, crazy!
Furthermore, somebody told me the things can only write to blank CD's and not to blank DVD's, what's he talking about?
No problem,I'll just go and buy some blanks, which shall i get, blank CD's or blank DVD's?
Then how do I burn a picture from my hard drive onto the blank, I mean what buttons do I press?
Thanks

If this is a DVD_RW it will burn DVDs. Most of these now days will read and burn both DVDs and CDs. What is the make and model of your drive? Did you drive come with any software? Many come with a copy of software like Nero. What exactly are you interested in burning?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 682 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 07:14 AM

If this is a DVD_RW it will burn DVDs. Most of these now days will read and burn both DVDs and CDs. What is the make and model of your drive? Did you drive come with any software? Many come with a copy of software like Nero. What exactly are you interested in burning?

It says on the box "AOpen 20X DVD Rewriter", 24.99 (about 42 dollars).
And it says "Supports all formats"
There's some instructional stuff on its accompanying Nero disk but i haven't got into it yet.
Eventually I want to burn some of my game screenshots (which I post in game forums) onto disk for safekeeping; about 500 are hosted at Photobucket but if Pbucket ever crashes i'll lose the lot, hence my burning desire to write backups..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users