Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is My Psu Dying, Battery Dying, Or Is It A Home Electrical Issue?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MashuTeichou

MashuTeichou

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 03 July 2008 - 11:04 AM

Ok, here is what I have problems with: Random, instant, shutoff of everything connected to the battery. Now, I only the battery connected to the single circuit, and all my computer stuff plugged into that: Tower, Monitor, Speakers, DSL. Last night I came in, it was off. But, we had a lightning storm, which im afraid did something. But, I had it plugged into the battery, which if the power goes out, it keeps the computer on, but the tower was off and everything else was still on. So, I turned on my tower, it loaded fine, played around for a while, it did a weird instant shutoff on everything. As in, Tower, Monitor, Speakers, and DSL all shut off, then about 3 seconds, everything but the tower came on.

I restarted the tower, it ran fine. Turned it off for the night. Started it this morning, same thing, about 20min into playing on it, everything shut off. Now, I have everything plugged into a surge protector that makes the outlet into a 6 outlet, not a strip surge protector, one that plugs into the whole outlet. I have everything plugged into that currently. So far so good, but its only been 10 min.

Now, my question is, could the lightning storm over powered the battery and caused everything to shut off, even though it has a surge protector in it? Also, the lights, TV, and another computer in the house did nothing, just mine, and mine is the only one plugged into a battery.

Also, I added an 8800 GT 512mb Graphics card recently, I had originally a 7900 256mb card. My PSU is a Corsair 520 watt supply. I run 3 HD, one is 10000 rpm so it has 2 power hookups, then my Graphics card, 8 fans that equal 5 hookups, a 6000 X2 AMD with the fan, a Soundcard and TV Tuner, as well as my keyboard, mouse, and controller all running off the USB. Then the speakers and montor hook in.

I have to post here, then shut off computer, thunder is getting really loud and close. Will finish later.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 03 July 2008 - 02:42 PM

When you keep saying battery I'm going to assume you mean a battery back-up unit. Even the best surge protectors can fail if you house takes a direct hit. I had a hard drive nuked once without damaging anything else
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 MashuTeichou

MashuTeichou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:19 PM

Yes, I mean a battery backup unit. Its like...6-8 years old now. And I do have a Microsoft warning that says the hard drive is messing up, and it also says if you continue to get the message to replace the hard drive. Now, can a hard drive failing cause things to shut off? Cause I do notice when I turn it on, every single time now, when the windows screen comes up to load the OS, the HD shuts off, then turns back on, and it takes about 5 minutes for windows to load. This time it took almost 10min cause it shut off 2 times.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:31 PM

I think I would hurry up and back up what you want to save off of that drive. You can go to the manufacturer of the hard drive's support site and download their diagnostic program and run it to see what kind of damage you have.

On another note, 6 to 8 years for your battery back-up, you probably need to replace the battery. If your brand is APC, they have an excellent exchange program
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users