Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading To Firefox 3.0 -- Best Way?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 03 July 2008 - 10:17 AM

I just saw that Firefox 3.0 is out now... I'm still running 2.0.0.14 for the time being. I may wait a week or two for any present bugs to be worked out. The only add-ons I use are Ad-Blocker Plus and FireFTP, both of which are either already compatible with FF 3.0 or have been updated to be so.

In the past, the way to update Firefox has always been just to download and install the newest version right over the top of your present version, without uninstalling anything. Is this still the case? Or do you need to uninstall 2.0.0.14 first?

Also, regarding the two add-ons: Do I need to uninstall those as well and reinstall them? And when? (Ad-Blocker Plus says it's compatible with 3.0 already, but FireFTP is a new updated version.)

If I just need to install FF 3.0 over my current version, do I uninstall the add-on(s) first, then do that, then install the add-ons?

And if I need to uninstall FF before updating to 3.0, do I uninstall the add-ons first, then uninstall 2.0.0.14?

Is anybody still running 2.0.0.14 here?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks! :thumbsup:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cornzey

cornzey

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 03 July 2008 - 11:24 AM

Hi there,

Just download the Firefox 3 installer and run it.

This is what I did, it removes the previous version during installation.

Hope this helps,
Cornzey

Posted Image

If I'm giving you help and I don't reply within 24 hours PM me with the topic link.

Avast Anti-Virus - Zone Alarm Firewall
Stay Protected.

#3 JR9999

JR9999

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 03 July 2008 - 06:24 PM

I heard there were a lot of problems with Version 3.. Just wondering if this was true?? Something about security threats and things like that... thanks in advance
"God created men.. Winchester and Baseball bats made them equal" Evel Knievel

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 03 July 2008 - 06:29 PM

I agree with cornzey.

There are many ways to do it, but the method already posted is by far the most effective solution.

JR9999, Where did you hear that?
Regards,

Alan.

#5 JR9999

JR9999

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 03 July 2008 - 06:36 PM

It's really just a "they" said thing.. A fellow at work pointed it out when i suggested him upgrading Firefox. He is constantly reading blogs all over the internet at work, so i am sure he just picked it up in one of those... Just wondering if any one else heard anything...
"God created men.. Winchester and Baseball bats made them equal" Evel Knievel

#6 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 06:49 PM

Any reason not to wait for a month just to make sure any potential kinks in the works get worked out...?
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:25 PM

As long as the folks at Mozilla support the earlier version (and they indicate that they will continue to provide security updates and bug fixes for a time), there is no absolutely imperative to upgrade to 3.0, although it is a very good idea to do so considering all the changes in the new version.
Unlike other posters, I would advise downloading 3.0 to an application backup file, then manually uninstalling the prior version, and then finally to install the new version. I always think this provides for a cleaner installation of a new VERSION (as opposed to revisions or updates). Since you will not be uninstalling the profile, your bookmarks, personal preferences, and add-ons will not be effected.
I have found it good practice to maintain an application backup file, with both the last known good version (2.whatever) as well as the new version to be installed; this makes reverting to the earlier release a simple procedure.

Upon installing Ff3, it will validate whether your add-ons are compatible, and will kill any that are not after searching for updated releases.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:31 PM

Incompatible extensions seems to be the biggest complaint.
As for security problems, this is the only issue. It has not been made public

TippingPoint ZDI notified Mozilla of a vulnerability in Firefox that impacts versions 2.x and 3.0. This issue is currently under investigation. To protect our users, the details of the issue will remain closed until a patch is made available. There is no public exploit, the details are private, and so the current risk to users is minimal.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#9 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2008 - 10:16 AM

How will they do security updates for the current 2.x version? I currently have 2.0.0.14, which I believe is the most current release of 2.x, right?

So will there also be a 2.0.0.15 if there are any security issues to fix (i.e. this new one that is yet to be revealed)?

Thanks!

#10 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2008 - 10:53 AM

Current version is 2.0.0.15. Check for your update. :thumbsup:

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#11 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2008 - 11:01 AM

Current version is 2.0.0.15. Check for your update. :thumbsup:

Ah, thanks. But I don't update through the program. I usually download the .exe. Do you have a link to the page where that's at on Mozilla? I only see the 3.0 download. Thanks!

#12 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2008 - 11:04 AM

Found it:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html

Any knows problems with 2.0.0.15?

Edited by bloomcounty, 04 July 2008 - 11:04 AM.

#13 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2008 - 11:07 AM

I can assume that they will do security updates for prior versions the same way as they did before; your version will poll Mozilla to determine if there is a new version (update) available, and if so will handle it as before. Just remember, that at some time in the relatively near future, they will stop supporting 2.0.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#14 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 04 July 2008 - 11:10 AM

Upon installing Ff3, it will validate whether your add-ons are compatible, and will kill any that are not after searching for updated releases.

I've just installed the version 3 on one of my XP m/c's, this is the list of compatible addons that i had:
  • Adblock Plus
  • Adblock Filterset.G Updater
  • BBCodeXtra
  • Colorful Tabs
  • GMail Notifier
  • Paste Quote
  • Smiley Xtra
The only one i had that wasn't compatible was:
FEBE ...used for backing up my FF profile.
So i can live with that.
So far it looks good.

BBPP6nz.png

#15 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2008 - 11:13 AM

Or is it better to just wait for 2.0.0.16 on July 15th?

http://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases/Firefox_2.0.0.16

Are there vital security updates I need with 2.0.0.15 that I shouldn't wait until 2.0.0.16?

Also, just a fyi, they're supposed to be supporting 2.x with security and usage updates until mid-December, so there's quite some time.

:thumbsup:

Edited by bloomcounty, 04 July 2008 - 11:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users