Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scanner Installation Crashes My System?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 greybuffalo

greybuffalo

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:47 AM

I got rid of my last scanner because it was doing crazy things to my computer.
I now have another ,a Packard Bell with the installation disk,as soon,as i try and add new hardware,my computer crashes?
Anyone have any idea why my computer has this effect on scanners,or scanners have this effect on my computer? any tricks I should be aware of?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 03 July 2008 - 02:19 PM

What's the model of the scanner and what OS are you using, and what type of connection is it using?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 greybuffalo

greybuffalo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2008 - 02:44 AM

It a Packard Bell"Diamond 1200 plus"
Im using XP home and Im using a "Lindy" usb hub,as I only four regular usb connections.
Could it be the hub?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 04 July 2008 - 08:03 AM

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the USB cable supply power to the scanner or does it have it's own separate power supply? The same question goes for the hub. You might be overtaxing the connection
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 04 July 2008 - 02:49 PM

http://support.packardbell.com/se/item/ind...diamond1200plus

AC power. The USB connection is just for the computer interface (like many printers today).

My guess would be the hub, http://www.lindy-usa.com/lindyshop/manuals/32890.pdf

I see it's designed only for USB 1.1 and when I used my scanners (now dormant)...I remember that they all are 2.0 and would not perform up to par on 1.0/1.1 specs.

If your system supports USB 2.0, I'd just attach the scanner to one of those ports and move something else to hub. The scanner should be a higher priority in the system-USB-hub pecking order :thumbsup:.

Louis

#6 greybuffalo

greybuffalo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2008 - 01:58 AM

Oh I see Louis ,
so its quite possible that overloads and crashes my computer?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 05 July 2008 - 01:19 PM

I wouldn't say that it overloads...but the maximum speed that it can reach...is not suitable for devices like scanners (which are usually USB 2.0 spec), while being fine for a mouse, a keyboard, or maybe even a printer.

The probably result is a crash of the system because the scanner cannot get the power it needs to function (via your hub).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users