Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hijackthis Will Not Run

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#1 Hoy polloi

Hoy polloi

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 03 July 2008 - 02:35 AM

Hello I am new to the forum and i have no idea what i am doing...obviously..thats why i am here and i would love some help with this particular problem i have. any help would be wonderful:

a couple of days ago i decided to go to windows update and install service pack 3, but before that i had to install the "Genuine Avantage Validation Tool KB892130" so i did. I stated to install service pack 3 and before it could finish it said that my computer didn't have enough memory to install..so i cleaned up some space, rebooted and tried it again..and the same message came back..so i repeated the same move once more and still needed more memory...while i was doing this i noticed that on every reboot i was losing memory...and any EXE file i tried to run would lock up and do absolutly nothing. Word Perfect says there is not enough memory to even open....ad-aware stalls out on the title screen...only some programs like windows media player work properly. So i came to the conclusion that it might have been the Genuine advantage tool..but when i went to add/remove programs it said i couldn't even remove it...i don't understand that since i am using an account with administrator access....so i went and downloaded the "Remove WGA" tool from softpedia.com...wich ran...to my surprise...but still everytime i tried to run programs or visit web sites that require some sort of flash player (i.e. Youtube) my cpu usage bolts up to 100% and i have to end the task...Mozilla does the same thing....a friend recommended SpywareGuide.com's Free Scan...so i went there and it worked as well..it found some things and i removed them..thinking it was all good i rebooted and tried again..and still nothing...i went to Trend Micro houscall scan but i needed a java update..so i downloaded tried to intall it and my cpu usage shot up to 100% again and locked up...same thing happend with kaspersky i needed a java update...i even tried safe-mode...still no luck...so i went and got hijack this and when i went to run it i got "Run-Time Error '481' Invalid Picture.....i have know idea what that means....i rebooted in safe mode and tried Hijack this agan and still the same message....I got the same message with ATF-Cleaner in both modes....I also tried a few system restores all the way up to 2 weeks ago...

if think that's everything i have done....i have been unsuccessful up to this point...
i am running a Sony Vaio w/Windows XP with service pack 2...and i have about a gig left on my hard drive...967 MB to be exact...
any help is greatly appreciated!

Edited by Hoy polloi, 03 July 2008 - 02:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 03 July 2008 - 04:30 AM

Hi Hoy polloi, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

You need at least 15% free space on your hdd for swap space.

Edited by dc3, 03 July 2008 - 04:30 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Hoy polloi

Hoy polloi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 11:01 PM

yeah...but i still dont understand why i can't create a hijack this log for anyone to look at :thumbsup:......

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 03 July 2008 - 11:46 PM

Hello Hoy polloi,

I think your problems stem at least in part from an incomplete download and install of SP3. I would suggest doing a system restore choosing a time and date just before you started to download SP3.

Let us know how that works.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 Hoy polloi

Hoy polloi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2008 - 12:12 AM

hello orange blossom ..i did do a system restore back to before i tried to install service pack 3...but still nothing...any other ideas what it could be?

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2008 - 08:21 AM

Without enough free space on your system, you may not be able to do much of anything. FWIW - we had a user here a while back who couldn't even delete things because their hard drive was too full. This has to do with Windows performing operations in the background to support your use of the computer.

Free up the space on your hard drive, then run Disk Defragmenter (Start...All Programs...Accessories...System Tools...Disk Defragmenter), then try running HiJackThis. If it still doesn't work, then we'll move this thread over to the "Am I Infected" forum to get you some more help with that.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Hoy polloi

Hoy polloi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2008 - 06:56 PM

ok i think i am having that same problem because i cannot even remove anything right now, it just locks up and does nothing...should i try again in safe mode?

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2008 - 06:20 AM

Yes, and also try deleting things in order of their size, starting with the smallest one's first.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Hoy polloi

Hoy polloi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2008 - 01:05 PM

ok so i tried to unintall things in safe made but it still locks up....but only on some programs...some other programs are able to uninstall but are so small they don't really make a difference in my cpu memory..what else could i do?

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2008 - 02:56 PM

Run Disk Cleanup (Start...All Programs...Accessories...System Tools....Disk Cleanup).
Move all of your data/files to an external drive - start with the small one's first and experiment to see how large you can go.
Turn off System Restore
Reduce the size of your paging file to the size of your RAM
Turn off hibernation.

#11 Hoy polloi

Hoy polloi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2008 - 11:17 PM

ok i got hijack this working...thank you guys so much for those suggestions...i will post my log file in the am i infected forum now..thanks again you guys! :thumbsup:

Edited by Hoy polloi, 05 July 2008 - 11:18 PM.

#12 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:53 PM

Hello Hoy polloi

Now that you have an HJT log posted here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/156252/just-in-case-i-might-be-infected/ you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#13 Hoy polloi

Hoy polloi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 01:09 PM

in this thread it was said that my log file is clean:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...pid=875925&

so i have been thinking it over some, and i was wondering if it might be something wrong with my registry. That could explain why there is no sign of malaware in my log file....and why some things are not working properly at all..while others do work without any problems...if it is my registry, how could i check it out to make sure, and if it is, what would be the best way for me to fix that?

#14 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 01:33 PM

What things or programs that arent working properly
it may not be a registry problem... but these can be done

try defragging your harddrive from the start button

Start/run/dfrg.msc/click ok

press defragment at the same time check the % of harddrive you got left
let defragment complete

another command to run is chkdsk /r

Start/run/chkdsk /r /click ok

on the command pop-up type Y then press enter
you will get a warning stating chkds cannot run
another volume is in use
just simply restart your computer
this takes about 2 hours to run
depending on your harddrive
there are some other things to do but do defragment and chkdsk /r first

Edited by mme, 08 July 2008 - 02:13 PM.

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 03:18 PM

Topic re-opened, HJT log was passed as clean by the HJT Team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users