Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is My Anti Virus/mal/spyware Ok?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 waterface

waterface

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:04 PM

Hi
I regularly scan with AVG Free, Spybot & Adaware!
I update the definitions to all regularly, but not the software updates!!
For example, i use Adaware 2007 version 7.0.2.6 all definitions updated regularly, but it keeps asking me if i want to update software!! Is this necessary?

Spybot!, my version is 1.5.2, i regularly update the definitions, but am aware its not the latest!

AVG Free 7.5.524, not the latest, i know, but i download the updates!

Does this matter that it's not the latest software, as long as the definition updates are done!!?

Thanks

WF

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:32 PM

Hi Waterface,
You should also keep the software up to date as well, sometimes there are added features or improved quality to the new product. Its the same as saying do you want a brand new toy or the old toy, most will choose the new but some will keep the old.However sometimes its not always the case, lets take AVG 7.5 and 8.0 for example. AVG 8.0 has some issues with conflict with Spywareblaster and Spybot's immunize feature.
What you have right now is good however I suggust you update your Ad-aware and Spybot to the lastest release.
NOTE: AVG 7.5 will stop updaing at the end of this year. Therefore you need another Anti-virus program, upgrade to AVG 8.0 and ignore the false positives regarding the ACTIVE X compatiabiltys or chose another ANti-virus program.
Take a read at this topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic143321-15.html
schat said that AVG's false postives are fixed however for me, I can't update my AVG 8.0 anymore for some strange reason it was working all this time until today...Strange, I might need to reinstall it and see if it works.
Another good anti-spyware program is Superantispyware
Spywareblaster is also a great software to have as well.
Good luck :thumbsup:
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:04 AM

I'd recommend that you replace Ad-aware with SUPERAntiSpyware Free which IMO is more effective.

Tips to protect yourself against malware:
• "Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe".
• "Best Practices - Internet Safety for 2008".
• "Hardening Windows Security - Part 1 & Part 2".
• "IE Recommended Minimal Security Settings" - "How to Secure Your Web Browser".

• Avoid online gaming sites and peer-to-peer (P2P) or file sharing programs as they are a security risk which can make your system susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, exposure of personal information, and identity theft. Many malicious worms and Trojans target and spread across P2P files sharing networks and gaming sites. In some instances the infection may cause so much damage to your system that recovery is not possible and the only option is to wipe your drive, reformat and reinstall the OS. The best way to reduce the risk of infection is to avoid gaming sites and not use any P2P applications. Read P2P Software User Advisories and Risks of File-Sharing Technology.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 waterface

waterface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:35 AM

Hi & thanks
Does AVG 8 overwrite 7.5 & the conflicts with active x & Spybots immunize issue!, what are these?, will something not work on my pc correctly with them both on the simultaneously.

The settings i have on AVG, would they be transferred over to the newer version!, for example, i use Mailwasher & the AVG email scanner conflicts with MW & MW doesn't work!, other settings that i've personalised too!!, will they be transfered over to 8 from 7.5 during installation?

Thanks

#5 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 09:55 AM

Hi WF,
Well I just tried AVG 8.0 today and the conflicts are gone between spybot's immunize feature however I can't update anymore i'll reinstall it later on and hope it works. If you read the link I gave you above you will understand about the conflicts. If you want to install AVG 8.0 you still can keep spybot because I think its fixed and even if its not fixed just ignore the Active X warnings only worry about if there is any infections,spywares or cookie trakers. Once you delete the Active X comapatabiltys you will need to reimmunize spybot.

Does AVG 8 overwrite 7.5

I don't think AVG 8.0 overwrites 7.5 however if you install 8.0 then remove 7.5 because they can lead to conflicts. You should only have 1 anti-virus program installed and running.
Hope that helps.
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#6 waterface

waterface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 10:32 AM

Hi, thannks, i'm in the process of reading that thread & others!
I was wondering if its safe to uninstall 7.5 1st then install 8.

Are both versions similar in the way they work!!?,

thanks again

wf

#7 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 10:48 AM

Hi Wf,

Are both versions similar in the way they work!!?,

They are not quite similar. AVG 8.0 has a new anti-spyware function added and resident shield as well as E-mail scanner that AVG 7.5 doesn't. I was going to go back to AVG 7.5 until I found out that the false positives and everything is gone.
I reallt like Spywareblaster do didn't want to uninstall it.

I was wondering if its safe to uninstall 7.5 1st then install 8.

My suggustion is first download AVG 8.0 if you are going to install it, then use add/remove to uninstall AVG 7.5. Once you have done that then install AVG 8.0. My reason is for that is because without a Anti-virus program installed you can get infected easily espically if your connected to the internet. My steps will be as follow:
1.download AVG 8.0
2.remove AVG 7.5
3.Dissconnect from the Internet(This is just to be safe, but you don't have to do it if you don't want to)
4.Install AVG 8.0
5.Connect back to Internet
Good luck :thumbsup:

#8 waterface

waterface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 11:58 AM

Ok, will do this!

Email scanner!!, i'm sure when i installed 7.5 i was given option to install email scanner!, in control centre, it says 'email scanner not installed', as i remember, i installed it & uninstalled it as it conflicted with Mailwasher!!

I remember it as when i downloaded mail to Mailwasher, the AVG logo in toolbar rotated when scanning mail!!

Can i opt during installation, not to have email scanner in version 8 as i'm sure this will conflict to!

Will the anti spyware conflict with any of my programmes also??

Thanks

WF

#9 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:44 PM

Hi WF,

Can i opt during installation, not to have email scanner in version 8 as i'm sure this will conflict to!

I don't think there is an option to not install e-mail scanner you have to install everything. However you can disable E-mail scanner by going to services.msc. The annoying thing is you will always see AVG has an ! sign saying that e-mail scanner is not active. If you don't mind that then I'll tell you how to disable the e-mail scanner:
Go to Start>Run>type in "services.msc"(without the quotes)and click Ok
Scrool down until you see AVG8 E-mail Scanner
Double click it and press STOP and change the startup type to Disable.
Now E-mail scanner is disabled.

Will the anti spyware conflict with any of my programmes also??

Which anti-spyware can you tell me the name of that anti-spyware

#10 waterface

waterface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 01:57 PM

Well i only have Spybot & Adaware, i just wondered if they conflicted!!

Maybe i'll install & see if it conflicts with Mailwasher, if it does, i'll do as you say in services!

In 'services', i just have to click on it once & on the left i get a stop or restart option & if i double click i get a new mini window open, i guess thats the same.

Im holding out downloading it for a while as i think all on my pc is working ok

I may try it out & if it don't work out, go back, but i guess i will have to sometime!!

Will the email scanner uninstalation permanently disable the scanner?, what is the ! that will appear?

thanks

#11 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 02:21 PM

Hi,
Ok, I got some great news, you don't have to worry about the conflicts anymore.AVG has fixed all the false positives so there will be no more conflicts with Spywareblaster or Spybot. Adaware never had conflicts with anything I think...

Will the email scanner uninstalation permanently disable the scanner?, what is the ! that will appear?

I don't know how you will uninstall the e-mail scanner because it is part of the WHOLE installation of AVG. The !
will appear once you disable AVG's e-mail scanner because once you disable something, AVG suspcts that something is missing or that you are not fully protected. You don't need to worry about that since it is having conflict you can disable it. Since you allready have a e-mail scanner Mailwasher(mailwasher is a e-mail scan right?Never heard of that program...lol), its okay to disable it you will still be protected.
Hope that clears it all up.
Good luck as you will eventually need to uninstall AVG 7.5 you can upgrad it to AVG 8.0 :thumbsup:

Extremeboy

#12 waterface

waterface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 03:49 PM

Hi & thanks for all your help!
Mailwasher lets me download all messages & see them before they go to Outlook Express, i guess there are better ways, just i go with what i'm used to!

Will the instructions you gave me to go to 'run' & "services.msc" disable email scanner permanently, or will i need to do this each time i boot my pc!

Thanks

WF

#13 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 04:26 PM

Will the instructions you gave me to go to 'run' & "services.msc" disable email scanner permanently, or will i need to do this each time i boot my pc!

Yes it will disable it permnantly you do not need to do it each time you boot up. It just stays there, however;if you wish to enable it for some reason you can go to services.msc again and change the Startup type back to automatic and change the service status to Start and everything will be back to normal.
Glad I could help :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users