Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partition

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Richard1283

Richard1283

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 02 July 2008 - 05:41 PM

Is there any way to add a partition to a disk that has an operating system installed? It's set up as a Raid 1.
Thanks, Rich

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 02 July 2008 - 05:46 PM

Hello Richard1283,

I have heard great things about Acronis
Regards,

Alan.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 02 July 2008 - 05:55 PM

If it's a RAID 1...don't you mean two disks/hard drives?

Pardon me for not understanding...but just what are you trying to do and why?

What sizes (stated) are the two hard drives in the RAID 1?

Louis

#4 Richard1283

Richard1283
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 03 July 2008 - 09:15 AM

I have two 500 Gig hard drives set up as a Raid 1 with the operating system installed. Right now there are no separate partitions on the Raid drive. I would like to partition off the operating system and leave free space for data so that if I have to reinstall the operating system I won't lose my data.
Thanks,
Rich

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 03 July 2008 - 09:47 AM

You should be able to turn off the mirroring, use a utility like Partition Magic or True Image to create the second partition, and strat the RAID mirroring from scratch.

The following is an excerpt from this article.

Hardware RAID solutions work by creating the illusion that your two physical drives are a single unit. The array is managed by the hardware controller. You need software drivers in whatever operating systems you plan to use so that the operating system can work with the RAID array you create. As far as Windows is concerned, you have a single drive; the hardware hides the individual members of the array completely. (The same is true for other operating systems.) After you load the correct driver, you can partition the drives however you want.

The first step, of course, is to make sure you've got a really great backup, just in case something goes wrong.

Your hardware controller should allow you to break the RAID mirroring. Doing so should leave the data on the first drive intact. If so, then you're good to go. Re-partition that disk as you please, using Partition Magic to shrink the main partition and create new ones from free space. Then create a new array. If you're using a Highpoint controller, choose the Duplication option to copy the data on the source disk to the mirror disk. The hardware RAID controller doesn't care what's on the disk; its job is to mirror the content from one disk to the other for reliability's sake, and it works at a very low level, independent of operating systems. All of your partition information should be intact. When you view it from an operating system that has the correct drivers, it looks like a single disk, which you can manage using whatever partitioning tools you like.

Edited by dc3, 03 July 2008 - 09:53 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users