Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

notebook pad cooler

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 splackavellie

splackavellie

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 10 April 2005 - 05:43 PM

anybody has one of these things?
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-999-412&depa=3
or this
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-999-413&depa=3

i dont know if they are worth it or not. i was considering them only because i have heard that the dell inspiron 5xxx model tends to run a little hot.
do they just sit underneath your laptop?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2005 - 08:28 AM

I personally have never used them, but we know cooling is very important. I would wait till you get the laptop and decide then if it gets too hot instead of spending the money now.

#3 splackavellie

splackavellie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 10:40 PM

sorry to bring this back up again...but i didnt want to start a new thread for this...

is there something that i can get to tell me how hot my laptop gets? some program or something? or is that something that i just "feel"?

#4 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 28 April 2005 - 11:45 AM

Good question, I am a notebook owner too and would appreciate comments on this query as well.

I was given some time ago from our in house Techie a piece of formed metal that raises the computer just slightly on the desktop and he said that was all he has been using over the years.
Just thought that I would mention that for what it is worth, he told me the metal was better for the notebook to be on instead of the eixisting pseudo wood that the desk top is constructed of and it allows area for good air circulation.

Cheers!
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2005 - 12:28 PM

is there something that i can get to tell me how hot my laptop gets? some program or something? or is that something that i just "feel"?

I'd run the thing - cruise the internet, maybe play CD's for a while, and put your hand underneath it to see how hot it's getting. I've seen some that get really hot and others that don't. If they get too hot, they can eventually degrade the plastic of the case and it will begin to crack and fall apart.

In addition to the products already mentioned, a lesser version without fans can also help if the heating isn't too severe. Check this out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users