Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Complete Pc Backup For Vista Business

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 coskip

coskip

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 02 July 2008 - 02:51 PM

I have a new Dell Precision M4300 laptop. I am trying to do a complete PC backup. Computer tells me to insert a black disk into Drive E. When I do this, I get the error message "There is no disk in the drive". I am inserting a brand new Sony DVD+RV 4.7G disk into this drive. The drive does work for installing programs so I know that the drive is fine. Can you please tell me why it's not recognizing that there IS a blank disk in the drive? This is very frustrating! Thank you for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2008 - 03:39 PM

If the drive works for installing things - it's reading from the disk. If it doesn't work with the blank disk - then it's not writing to the disk. This is 2 different operations. The standard for this model laptop is (I believe) a DVD-ROM - and with that you won't be able to write to a DVD. To be sure, check the writing on the face of the drive - if it says DVD-ROM, then it can't write to DVDs.

If it's not a DVD-ROM, can you write to a DVD from any other program? A quick test would be to right click on a file and select "Send to..." Then select your DVD drive to send it to.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 K()nT3nTs

K()nT3nTs

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 02 July 2008 - 09:01 PM

^^^^

YUP Confirm if the driver can burn discs.

#4 coskip

coskip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:13 PM

If the drive works for installing things - it's reading from the disk. If it doesn't work with the blank disk - then it's not writing to the disk. This is 2 different operations. The standard for this model laptop is (I believe) a DVD-ROM - and with that you won't be able to write to a DVD. To be sure, check the writing on the face of the drive - if it says DVD-ROM, then it can't write to DVDs.

If it's not a DVD-ROM, can you write to a DVD from any other program? A quick test would be to right click on a file and select "Send to..." Then select your DVD drive to send it to.

Thank you for your response. I checked and you are right, it is a DVD-ROM drive. So does this means there is no way that I can make a backup of my PC? Does this also mean that the 25 pack of DVD+RW disks I just bought are useless with this computer? I'm sorry, I'm clueless and really appreciate your help.

Donna

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 05:46 AM

You can't burn DVD disks on that drive. Your options would be to either get another drive to fit in that slot from Dell (probably very expensive), or get an external DVD drive that's capable of writing from another source.

It's possible to backup your PC to another partition on the same hard drive - but IMO that's pretty useless if the drive fails. Since this is for backups, I'd suggest an external hard drive rather than a DVD drive - they'll hold more and are more flexible for storing a multitude of different backups.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 coskip

coskip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:26 AM

You can't burn DVD disks on that drive. Your options would be to either get another drive to fit in that slot from Dell (probably very expensive), or get an external DVD drive that's capable of writing from another source.

It's possible to backup your PC to another partition on the same hard drive - but IMO that's pretty useless if the drive fails. Since this is for backups, I'd suggest an external hard drive rather than a DVD drive - they'll hold more and are more flexible for storing a multitude of different backups.

Bummer! John, thank you very much for your help. I guess I am learning the hard way! I appreciate you taking the time to teach me! Blessings and Happy 4th!

Donna

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users