Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard Mcp61pm-hm No Power No Post

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 annazandra

annazandra

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:05 AM

Hello everyone, I hope someone can help me. Details: PC: HP Pavillion a6130n, MB MCP61PM-HM manufactured by ECS. OS: Vista.
Problem: I shut down system as normal through OS. When I pushed the power button to turn it back on nothing happened. I luckly had another PC available. I went to HP site and found the troubleshooting guide for this problem. I followed the troubleshooting steps and no help. Checked power supply. The led was on, therefore, power going to the pc. Called HP went through tech support directions. No help. Tech order a power supply. I installed it when it arrived. Same problem no power no post. Now PC just ran out of warranty. I had an online chat with tech support no help. I checked to see that the power button was getting power it was. I disassembled the pc. Check to see if there was any burnt spots on MB but nothing was visable. It still looked new. I have searched the net for a real manual for this board. Found the manufactor's site. But I still can't find a manual. I tried plugging the power cord into several outlets same results. I changed power cords no help. So now I am out of ideas. I know it can't be the processor because the cpu fan would still work and the case fan would work. They don't. I know it is not the ram because of the same reason the fans would still work. This is when I checked to see that power was going to the power button. I don't know where to go from here. Anyone have any ideas?

HP Sucks

Annazandra

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:59 AM

Hi annazandra, welcome to the forums.

If the fans a coming on this is indicating that the PSU is working.

Do the trays of the optical drives open when you push their button?

Can you access the BIOS?

If you have the installation disc for your operating system? If you do try putting it in the CD-ROM and reboot, if the computer boots from the disc then you will have narrowed the problem down to either a problem with the OS, or the hard drive.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 02 July 2008 - 06:12 PM

<<The led was on, therefore, power going to the pc.>>

I don't think so...it doesn't take much power to light an LED...I suspect it takes a lot more to run just about any device/peripheral/component.

What's the rated output of the PS you currently are trying to use?

Since you have another PC...I would suggest putting that PS in that PC and verifying that it truly works.

And...a PS from an older system might not be adequate for the power demands of a newer system, IMO.

Louis

#4 annazandra

annazandra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:18 AM

Hi annazandra, welcome to the forums.

If the fans a coming on this is indicating that the PSU is working.

Do the trays of the optical drives open when you push their button?

Can you access the BIOS?

If you have the installation disc for your operating system? If you do try putting it in the CD-ROM and reboot, if the computer boots from the disc then you will have narrowed the problem down to either a problem with the OS, or the hard drive.

Thank you dc3. And thank you for replying to my post. No fans work in the pc at all. The hd never powers up. the bois chip never is activated. Nothing happens. No dvd drives open. I tested if the power switch was receiving power and it was. But nothing happens when it is turned on. The led on the power does not even blink.
Annazandra

HP Sucks

Annazandra

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:29 AM

It sounds like the PSU died. Do you have a Voltmeter? And how comfortable are you working inside the computer? There are two things that you can try if you are comfortable with working inside the computer, one is to bypass the motherboard which initializes that startup of the PSU, and the other is to use a Voltmeter to read the different rail voltages.

The purpose of this procedure is to bypass the motherboard to test the PSU.

Caution:
This procedure will involve working with live 12VDC electrical potentials which if handled improperly may lead to electrical shock. Proper precautions should also be taken to prevent electrostatic discharges (ESDs) within the case of the computer. For safety purposes please follow the instructions step by step.

First, shutdown your computer. Then unplug the power cable going into your computer.

Once you have opened the case, touch the metal of the case to discharge any static electricity.

The connector of the PSU which connects to the motherboard is readily recognizable by the number of wires in the bundle. To disconnect it you will need to press on the plastic clip to disengage it and then pull the connector up and away from the motherboard. Please take notice of the location of the locking tab and the notch on the socket of the motherboard, this will only connect one way as it is keyed. This wire bundle will have a memory of the way it has been installed and will want to bend back that direction, you may have to play around with it to find a position that the connector will stay in the same position while you run the test.

Posted Image

From the top left to right the pins are 13-24, the bottom from left to right are 1-12.

Please notice that there are PSUs with 24 pin and 20 pin connectors, the location of the green wire in the 24 pin connector is #16, and the green wire in the 20 pin connector is #14. If you look at the connector with socket side facing you and the clip on the top the number one pin will be on the bottom left corner. This makes the pin out for the 24 pin connector from left to right 13-24 on top, and 1-12 on the bottom. The pin out for the 20 pin connector from left to right is 11-20 on top , and 1-10 on the bottom. If you look at the connectors you notice that these are sockets that fit over the pins on the motherboard where the PSU cable attaches, this is where you will place the jumper. For a jumper you will need a piece of solid wire about the size of a paper clip (20-22 awg), preferably a wire with insulation. It will need to be large enough to fit firmly into the socket so that it will not need to be held in place while testing. You are at risk of electrical shock if you are holding the jumper when you power up the PSU. Insert one end of the jumper into the socket of the Green wire, and insert the other end into the socket of any Black wire.

Once the jumper is in place plug the cord back in. If the PSU is working properly the case fans, optical drives, hdds, and LEDs should power up and remain on. I would suggest that you not leave this connected any longer than is necessary for safety purposes.

At this point you can use a DC Voltage meter to read the different rail Voltages. You will want to insert the black probe into any of the Black (-) sockets, and insert the Red (+) probe in the five different colored sockets. Below are the five different colors and their corresponding rail voltages.

Yellow +12VDC
Blue -12VDC

Red +5VDC
White -5VDC

Orange +3.3VDC

To reconnect the 20/4 pin connector unplug the power cord, remove the jumper, and reconnect the connector. Take a moment at this time to make sure that nothing has been dislodged inside the case.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 annazandra

annazandra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:32 AM

<<The led was on, therefore, power going to the pc.>>

I don't think so...it doesn't take much power to light an LED...I suspect it takes a lot more to run just about any device/peripheral/component.

What's the rated output of the PS you currently are trying to use?

Since you have another PC...I would suggest putting that PS in that PC and verifying that it truly works.

And...a PS from an older system might not be adequate for the power demands of a newer system, IMO.

Louis

Hi hamluis,
Thank you for replying to my post. I did try another ps before I installed the new one. The other ps I tried was actually a little higher wattage than my own.
Then I had HP send me a new one. I installed the new one but still no power no post. Then I tested the circuit to see if the front power switch was receiving power
from the board and it was. I did also try the ps in the other pc and it did work. If the board is receiving power from the board would that mean it could be a problem
with the front switch? Or is it the mb? I can't understand if the front switch is receiving power why does the fans not work? Not even the ps fan works. I am so confused!
Output is 250 W.
Anna

HP Sucks

Annazandra

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:57 AM

The switch on the front panel is a momentary switch, this is like a door bell button, as long as you press it the door bell rings, it makes and breaks contact. You can bypass the switch by disconnecting the two leads from the switch from the motherboard and use a screw driver to short out the two pins the leads were connected to, just touch the pins and remove the screw driver. If the PSU doesn't turn on then I would suggest trying the other method that I posted previously, if you try this and the PSU works the you may have a dead motherboard or CPU.

#8 Arizona Joe

Arizona Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 16 October 2009 - 05:58 PM

annazandra - did you ever get resolution to this problem? I have the same problem, same HW, went through the same troubleshooting steps with the same results. I am believing it is the motherboard p but it is an odd failure mode. Did you get your machine running? Did you replace your motherboard?
Thanks

#9 ftsolutions

ftsolutions

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 01 January 2010 - 06:42 PM

Not intending to hijack the thread, but my MIL's HP Pavillion with the same MB had a very similar problem- no fans, lights, no POST, etc. and the power switch appeared to work, but power supply would not enable - no voltage anywhere.
I followed dc3's info to isolate&test the PSU, which worked well and all measured voltages were as expected. Upon further examination of the 20 pin connector, I discovered that the PURPLE wire and its crimped on socket had partially dislodged from the connector housing. Closer inspection yielded the socket had not been well crimped and was deformed, indicating that it hadn't been properly mating with the pin on the motherboar's connector. The tightness of the nylon cable ties was also producing a strain on that particular wire that tended to pull it out of the housing. Some careful reshaping of the socket, adjusting and reseating the socket contact in the housing and snipping a cable tie, and re-installing the connector set everything working perfectly again. Just wanted to inform people that there may be a quality issue with some of these wire harnesses, and that if the PURPLE wire isn't making proper contact on the MB, it will behave just as if the green PSU Enable wire or power on/off switch isn't connected.

Hope that this may help someone or save them some time.

#10 eric512

eric512

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 01:52 PM

I just noticed the same problem with another HP machine. Same mb - MCP61PM-HM. The MB just went dead. New PSU, removed memory, removed all cards/cables and still no boot. When I press the power button the PSU does make a noise for a split second. Looks like the BIOS detects a short on the MB.

The original HP PSU has a green led with the power is supplied. When I press the power on switch, the green led goes out, and won't relight until the power cord is removed and reattached.

Too bad -nice looking machine.

Edited by eric512, 05 March 2010 - 01:52 PM.

#11 Techi Rick

Techi Rick

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 06:54 PM

Have the same problem as you guys but it is definitely the MB in my case....check the tops of the electrolytic capacitors, as I have several swollen ones.This was a common problem with Chinese capacitors a few years ago and I thought it had been cleaned up!Hope this helps somebody.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users