Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Not Connect To The Internet In Internet Explorer 7

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Asharper

Asharper

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 02 July 2008 - 06:13 AM

Hi Support Team,

I have a problem with a desktop computer that will not connect to the internet. When it comes up with the 'Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage' I clicked on the Diagnose Connection Problems link I come up with Winsock Diagnostic. The diagnostic states:

info - Error attempting to validate the Winsock base providers:2

error - Not all base service provider entries could be found in the wisock catalog. A reset is needed.

info - Redirecting user to support call

This is a friends computer and they state that they had a virus, that they removed the virus and that they have reformatted the drive and reloaded windows XP back on. Could you please offer any suggestion on how to fix this. I tried the Microsoft knowledge base and a suggestion of running the command prompt netsh winsock reset in Run > CMD >. I have also attempted the following command netsh int ip reset a.txt based on other forums postings I have seen on the internet (using another computer of course).

Not sure if this helps also, but when I click on Network Connections and then double click on the Local Area Connection icon (under the heading LAN or High Speed Internet), it shows the status of Connected, Duration is ticking along, and Speed is 100/0 Mbps. The packets sent and received seem to be going up but variously by a count of 1 every few seconds to a few minutes (very slow). The TCP/IP are set to 'Obtain an IP address automatically' and 'Obtain DNS server address automatically'. The computer is running Internet Explorer 7. Hopefully this little bit of information helps (I'm not sure).

I believe that it might not be a modem/router problem as I can run other computers on the same network with the same ethernet cable and can get an internet connection no worries. Also, if I go into Safe Mode with Networking, I do actually get an internet connection that works.

Also something which is quite bizarre is that even though I can not get an internet connection on this PC, this afternoon the Microsoft Automatic Update loaded on a couple of new fixes. I'm not sure how that happens.

It was also suggested by a colleague to 'ping' the router (a Dlink DI-704P broadband router). After a bit of research I found out how to do this and received the following:

Pinging xxx.xxx.x.x with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from xxx.xxx.x.x: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for xxx.xxx.x.x:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 <0% loss>,
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum - 0ms, Maximum - 0ms, Average - 0ms

Not sure what it means but I figure that it means that it found the router and returned a reply. Is this correct?

I'm not very technical so if you could walk me through any steps required to attempt to fix this problem it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,
Asharper

Edited by Asharper, 03 July 2008 - 05:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 04 July 2008 - 09:43 PM

Hi Asharper,

The connection settings may have to be renewed or be misconfigured. Repairing the connection will reset some configuration settings.

Click Start / Run, type ncpa.cpl and then click Okay.
Right-click the appropriate network connection, and then click Repair.
Test the connection.

If no joy, follow this procedure for Winsock repair:

Click Start / Run, type netsh winsock reset and then click Okay.
When the Command Prompt flashes, restart the computer.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 Asharper

Asharper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 06:20 AM

Hi TMacK,

My friend has her computer back now however I will pass on this information and see how she goes. Will let you know however may take a few days for a reply.

Thank you for you help in this.

Asharper.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users