Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bsod 0xa3 And 0x8e - Unusual/unclear Picture And Random Bsod

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rambo

Rambo

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 02 July 2008 - 04:31 AM

Hello,

You guys have been great before, and I hope that someone can help me tackle this.

My friend's computer started going weird after playing a game that uses Shockwave. (That's the last thing they remember...) When loading into Windows (regular mode), after selecting (any) user all you see on the screen is black with blue spots all over.

They're using an Asus P5DV2-VM SE motherboard
Intel E2140 (1.6GHz) CPU,
1GB DDR2
with a 450w PSU.

Originally I thought it was video-driver related as they're using the onboard graphics card. It's a Via P4M890-based motherboard although it has a PCIe expansion.

Loading in safe mode usually works, and loading into VGA mode got me into Windows however I received a 0x8E pretty quickly. At some point I also received a 0xA3. I tried uninstalling the video driver (Via Chrome9). That allowed me back into regular mode but soon after I got a BSOD. I tried running System Restore from safemode and I got 0xA3 (ACPI_DRIVER_INTERNAL) but I can't find info on fixing this one.

Thanks in advance,
Ram

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2008 - 07:32 AM

0x8e errors are usually caused by driver issues.

Here is what Microsoft says regarding 0xa3 errors:

An inconsistency in the ACPI driver is so severe that continuing to run would cause serious problems.

One possible source of this problem is a BIOS error.

Drivers and Windows interacts with the BIOS. Have you tried a BIOS update? Usually this is not recommended as it can cause serious issues if the update is not performed correctly, but is recommended when the BIOS is suspected to be the cause of an issue such as this.

EDIT:

all you see on the screen is black with blue spots all over.

I just remembered having an issue like this, and it was corrected by simply reseating the video card. Just thought I would mention this.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 02 July 2008 - 07:39 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2008 - 05:52 PM

I would suggest enabling the Driver Verifier to see if it can determine the cause of this. I've looked at all the minidump files, and they all are inconclusive - with each having to do with something trying to access a location in memory that doesn't exist. Most likely this is a driver, but it could also be a hardware issue.

To enable Driver Verifier, go to Start...Run...and type in "verifier.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Tell it to "Create Standard Settings", then click OK, then tell it to "Automatically Select Unsigned Drivers", then click on Finish. Then reboot the system and wait for the next crash. Use this link to analyze the minidump file: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246
Then copy and paste the results here.

FYI - the reason that we don't select all drivers in the Driver Verifier is that it can slow your system to a crawl. Most driver problems occur with unsigned drivers, so this is the most expedient way of testing them. In the event that it's a signed driver that's corrupted, there won't be any signs given - and you may have to run Driver Verifier at a later date will all drivers selected.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Rambo

Rambo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:02 AM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your suggestions. I ran MemTest for over 6 hours (20+ passes) which came back negative.

As far as the BIOS update is concerned, when I checked the change logs for more recent updates and they only mention additional CPU support, PS/2 mouse support fixed when no PS/2 keyboard present and a patch for DDR2/667. I think I will still attempt to update the BIOS. I have previously used the Windows-based ASUS utilities for downloading and flashing the BIOS.

As far as re-seating the video card, we're using the on-board Via chipset so that is out of the equation. Unfortunately I don't have a PCIe video card available to try. Although not a traditional screenshot (picture taken with my SmartPhone), I'm attaching a picture to illustrate the output of the display.

When attempting to enable the Driver Verifier, I was faced with the 0xA3 after logging into VGA mode, and 0x8E soon after logging into Safe Mode. (I think that's the right sequence for the errors and the different modes.) I used the Last Known Good Configuration to enable the Verifier, however in logging out of Windows (to restart)

I have a few dumps that occured prior the the more recent ones that I sent. When I tried debugging them I got the same Probably caused by : Unknown_Image ( ANALYSIS_INCONCLUSIVE ) however on that dump, it also said that I didn't have the correct Symbols. I'm using the same symbols that I've used for analyzing other dumps.

Thanks again,
Ram

Attached Files

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 05:24 AM

It could also be simply a defective video chip. Requiring either a new video card or a new mobo.

It sure seems like you are on the right path to determine what the cause of the issue is. Perhaps it is time to replace some hardware.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 06:20 AM

All the dumps that I looked at stated "Analysis inconclusive" also - that's why I suggested Driver Verifier.
I've found that a severe driver problem will cause an almost immediate BSOD when rebooting, less severe problems may require waiting for the BSOD to occur.

For further information, here's an article about the STOP 0xA3 error: http://www.osronline.com/ddkx/ddtools/bccodes_04o7.htm
It points out issues with the ACPI driver (and mentions that it could be a BIOS issue also)

Here's an article about the STOP 0x8E error: http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x8e
It refers to hardware incompatibilities (which may mean a driver or BIOS issue).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Rambo

Rambo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 10:25 PM

Thanks for the prompt replies. I realize, so it seems that virtually a whole day goes by before I get notified of the responses, or have the ability to respond.

After picking (your) brains :thumbsup: , I spoke to the store that I ordered the components from, the tech there said it might be drivers. He suggested changing the hard drive and doing a fresh install. I flashed the BIOS, and I had a 3GB drive available from an old system and Windows XP SP2 installed no problem. I didn't play with it for too long, but I tried installing SP3 from a CD and it went as far as telling me that I needed a certain amount of additional free space. I also removed certain Windows components to try to free up some space. I didn't have a chance yet to install the original ASUS drivers, but using the Windows XP SP2 OEM CD it detected the appropriate resolution, etc. and seem to run okay.

I'm wondering if there anything else I need to do to test, or can we conclude that it was drivers/BIOS? I don't want to have to go through the chore of backing up and doing a clean install on the original drive to find that it was something else. (I also ran the Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostics.)

Thanks for the support, I think we solved this, but I'd still like to get some reassurance.

-Ram

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2008 - 08:06 AM

Since you changed the hard drive out, but didn't change the BIOS - it's most likely either the hard drive or the drivers. But the motherboard and the file system can also play a role in this too - as may the drivers that you haven't installed yet. I still think that it was the drivers - but not having any evidence of this makes it just a SWAG (Scientific Wild A**ed Guess) on my part. FWIW - you can have all the latest drivers installed and still have problems - because sometimes a driver will get corrupted but won't record the failure anywhere obvious. To identify any "quirks" with the current installation (on the small drive) you'll have to install the drivers and then see if there's any errors in Event Viewer related to this problem.

Running chkdsk /r at the Command Prompt would probably be a good idea (on the original hard drive) - just to rule out the possibility that it's the file system. It'll tell you it can't run right now, and will ask if you want to schedule it for the next reboot. Answer Y, press Enter, and then reboot. Let the chkdsk /r run until it boots back into Windows, noting any problems that may be displayed.

If you ran the Western Digital Data Lifeguard tools on a Western Digital hard drive (and you ran the Long/Extended test) - then I'd suspect that the drive was good.

Motherboard issues are very difficult to "prove". We use a commercial motherboard diagnostic at work and it seldom finds anything negative to report that we haven't already identified with other tests. I'd suggest trying to install this free software (on both the small drive and the original hard drive) to see if it reports anything of interest about your motherboard: http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.html?dir...n=sware_dl_3264

In short my answer is a fully qualified "Maybe" :thumbsup:
I'd suspect that you'd most likely end up with a well functioning system if you went ahead and did a clean install of Windows with all the drivers and updates - but it's still a SWAG! Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users