Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is This A Virus Or A Bug?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Beyon

Beyon

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 02 July 2008 - 04:06 AM

Iíve encountered a strange problem in Outlook 2007. Starting from around a month ago, I started receiving emails that Iíd already received and deleted a few weeks ago. I became suspicious after this happened repeatedly. Later on I discovered that every time I received an old message, it overwrote one of my new message! It has nothing to do with the service provider as I could see the overwritten message in the server (log in through web mail) after I selected to leave message at the server. In other words, the old message that re-appeared was not from the server and the overwritten process occurred after (or during) the new message was downloaded into my pc.

Iíd tried to use the repair office function in Add/Remove to fix the problem and the symptom would stop for a while. But after one to two weeks time it would come back. At first, it affects only one of my email account. Now it takes turn to affect my other web (yahoo and hotmail) accounts as well. The problem appears once every two to three days. Every time I notice thereíre emails arrived that dated back a few weeks ago, I know thereíre messages overwritten and Iíve to log in to the server to check them out. Itís very annoying but otherwise no other problems are detected.

I suspect this is a virus or worm. Iíd full scanned my computer with the latest virus definition (McAfee) but nothing is picked out. Iíve also run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Kaspersky Online Scanner but both found nothing suspicious. The hijack log also shows nothing special (Iíd posted it to the spyware forum for comment). I just wonder whether anyone has come across similar problem or have an explanation of this wired behavior. Suggestion to cure the problem are more than welcome. Many thanks for the help.

Beyon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users