Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Takes 15 Minutes...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bone Idol

Bone Idol

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 02 July 2008 - 03:05 AM

Hi all!

When I switch on my computer it goes to a notice saying ... 'Windows is starting up... " Nothing will happen for a full 15 minutes or so, before it then goes to a split screen with two options. I click the option 'Owner' - and then it goes to desktop.

How can I fix this long delay in the startup process? I've never had this happen before.

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 alpenadiver

alpenadiver

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 02 July 2008 - 04:22 AM

First question, did you install any programs when the boot problem started, and what programs are running at start up. Have you tried using a restore point from before the boot problem.
Next I would do the usual spyware / malware and virus scans, plus make sure windows is updated. Also check device manager, and event viewer this is very helpful in tracking down problems.

Edited by alpenadiver, 02 July 2008 - 04:23 AM.

Comp TIA- A+ Security+

#3 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2008 - 05:20 AM

First question, did you install any programs when the boot problem started, and what programs are running at start up. Have you tried using a restore point from before the boot problem.
Next I would do the usual spyware / malware and virus scans, plus make sure windows is updated. Also check device manager, and event viewer this is very helpful in tracking down problems.

This problem started when I installed Acronis True Image and had to reboot to complete the installation. The Startup then asked me for my password - a bit difficult when you've never entered a password.

I've run anti-virus and anti-spyware. No change. The only problem I'm experiencing is this 15-minute pause before it goes to desktop. I want to eliminate this.

I'll check out the rest of your suggestions.

Thank you for your interest.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 02 July 2008 - 05:41 PM

What's the other option...on the split screen?

Louis

#5 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2008 - 09:01 PM

What's the other option...on the split screen?

Louis

The problem has righted itself. The startup goes to desktop in only a few seconds. I don't know what has made it go right again.

Thanks all for your interest.

Update: It's gone bad again.

First it asked me for the Owner's password - I never had one. But later, I gave 'Owner' a password - which was accepted upon startup. Now, its not accepting the password I gave 'Owner'.

The little notice in the righthand bottom corner about being able to change account details etc is pure fiction.

And somehow I've ended up with two separate accounts as the Administrator and the Owner. I tried to eliminate any passwords whatsoever, but it wouldn't accept this.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

further update:

Posted Image

Update: I think I've cured the problem. I uninstalled a recent download of Acronis True Image, and now my PC starts up with no 15-minutes pauses or asking for logon details.

However, one section of the Acronis package is refusing to uninstall...

Posted Image

Edited by Bone Idol, 02 July 2008 - 10:49 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 03 July 2008 - 06:33 PM

Well...it occurs to me to ask...is this a legal copy of Acronis True Image that you have all these situations with?

Louis

#7 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 06:59 PM

Well...it occurs to me to ask...is this a legal copy of Acronis True Image that you have all these situations with?

Louis

My lawyer has advised me to plead the Fifth Amendment.

Have a Nice Day.

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users