Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing Cases, Monitor/usb Port Error

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Saetha

Saetha

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 02 July 2008 - 12:43 AM

I'd Appreciate any help in this situation.

I was Stripping my PC Last night to rebuild into a custom Case (Details Classified Patent/Completion Pending, I'll post a pic if I can get this Error Fixed)
While doing a Naked assembly (case-less on desk) I noticed my Laser Mouse didn't connect so I tried plugging in my Monitor and there was a no signal message. After much Fiddling to no avail I decided to post in a forum, any speculation is welcome as I'm a new again pc re-builder (last custom 2001)
as far as I can tell everything seems to be plugging in correctly Memory in the correct port, I can hear the start up and HDD Whirl and there are no obvious noises or lights just not monitor output and my Laser mouse and USB Key board flash upon plug in then loose power and do not transmit. Like I said, any Speculation would be greatly appreciated.

~Saetha, USN, LHD-4 BOXER, 17AUG08
"I Make Computers Look Like Things."
"Never Mix Redbull and Burbon"

(PS This is a little project of mine on a throw away pc that worked 2004 Dell Dimension 2400 I bought for cheap just to see if my idea was plausible.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 02 July 2008 - 12:53 AM

Hi Saetha, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

I'm a little confused as to what is going on here, I understand that you are putting the components together outside of the case, but am not sure exactly what you are describing as the problem.

Is the mouse and keyboard PS/2 or USB types?

Are they wireless?

Are you plugging these in while the PSU is turned on?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Saetha

Saetha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2008 - 06:40 AM

The Mouse and Keyboard are USB wired, and the problem is that the Monitor keyboard and mouse are not getting any attention from the PC. No connectivity while the PC sounds to be booting correctly. Thanks for such a quick response.
~Saetha

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:54 AM

Is the fan on the PCU spinning up?

Have you checked in the BIOS so see that the mouse and keyboard are enable as USB devices?

Is the motherboard isolated so that it can't short out?

Go back over all of your connections, if this was working before you took it out of the original case then the chances are that this is a connection problem.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2008 - 06:04 PM

If there is no monitor output...how can you determine what is working, beyond the fans and PS?

You get the "no signal" message on the monitor?

Did you move the CPU and/or fan/heatsink when you were doing your rebuilding?

Does the motherboard have onboard video?

Reseat the video card?

Louis

#6 Saetha

Saetha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2008 - 07:48 PM

Alright, I get the no signal after manually turning on the monitor because it doesn't get woken the plug is properly secured, it's an on board video card, all my plugs are properly secured with exception of one power not being used it is labeled p7 and was for a floppy drive, I know this pc worked prior to being disassembled I slowly and carefully removed the heat sink and then released the cpu then reseated and re-secured the heat sink on inspection all the pins are aligned and straight, none are missing or bend and the cpu seats well. the fan doesstart up though it is in a different position now. Thank you very much.

~Saetha

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2008 - 09:56 PM

If you remove the heat sink from the CPU you need to clean the metal surface of the CPU (the heat spreader) and the heat sink and reapply thermal compound to the heat spreader before you reattach the heat sink. Without the thermal compound the heat sink may not be effective enough to ensure proper thermal convection which will lead to thermal shut downs of the computer. If the fan isn't in the proper position, this to can lead to thermal shut downs.

#8 Saetha

Saetha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 06:32 AM

the pc doesn't have the opportunity to shut down from over heating, on initial boot it doesn't wake the monitor. Also when I do turn it on, I constantly check the heat sink for overheating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users