Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP professional wont log off

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 frustrated

frustrated

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 27 July 2004 - 03:50 PM

When I go to shut down my computer, the box pops up that says logging off...and it freezes. You cant do anything but turn off the computer.

This may help or just confuse more, but sometimes when I go into the msconfig window where you can change startup options (even if I dont change anything), it will logoff properly if I restart after exiting that window.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 July 2004 - 05:58 PM

Can you go back to msconfig and make sure to click enable all for the time being. You may be unticking a program needed for log off. Then see if the problems goes away then post back then maybe we can figure what is causing the shutdown freeze. To you happen to have any
Easy CD / Direct CD software installed? And does it give you any error messages in your computer management? Just in case here is how to get there,

Right Click My Computer....Left click manage...Left click the little + in event viewer...Left click applications see if anything is causing allot of error's , then copy some of the ones that are the most and paste them here. We will get this taken care of

Brunt

#3 frustrated

frustrated
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2004 - 09:39 PM

I already have everything enabled in msconfig. The most common errors in the Event viewer are:

- True Vector Service
- EventSystem
- VSS

Thanks.

#4 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 July 2004 - 09:45 PM

do the errors say the true vector has failed to initialize and something about a temp log being written. Like allot of people Zone alarm is a very big nuisance with xp. Disable xp's internet firewall through msconfig. try this as well shut down zone alarm right before you shut the pc down, just once, see if this solves the problem! And post back

#5 frustrated

frustrated
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2004 - 09:54 PM

I dont know if this helps but the error is listed as an Event 5007. Its not the zone alarm causing the problem. It was doing it before I installed Zone Alarm.

#6 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 July 2004 - 09:58 PM

I will check on the error code brb. You should still disable the internet firewall connection if your running ZA

#7 frustrated

frustrated
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2004 - 10:03 PM

How do i do that?

#8 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 July 2004 - 10:05 PM

Here is a couple of sites with that event

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=5007&eventno=2724
and another the secocond site seems to be much clearer I would do as suggested in the second link

http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/board/...message.id=1328

#9 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 July 2004 - 10:06 PM

go to start...run.. type in msconfig.,...go to services...and scroll down almost to the bottom and you will see internet connection firewall. Uncheck it and reboot!

#10 frustrated

frustrated
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2004 - 10:23 PM

I dont really understand what to do with the sites that you gave me. Sorry.

#11 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 July 2004 - 10:26 PM

Go here and download this program

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

run it, then download direct X 9.0b
Update video card drivers. Here

#12 frustrated

frustrated
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2004 - 10:34 PM

What is that going to do?

#13 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 July 2004 - 10:38 PM

it may help solve your problem.. It may not but hey at least you have the latest stuff. The event you gave me points to Zone Alarm, the second site explains alot.

READ ME

#14 frustrated

frustrated
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2004 - 10:43 PM

The readme link didnt work and I cant get that Diagnostic Test to work either. If I save it as a CD file then what do I do after that?

#15 frustrated

frustrated
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2004 - 10:55 PM

It asks me to save it as a CD file or to save it as a bootable disk which I cant do because I do not have a floppy drive. When I save it as a CD file there is no readme and it is called WINDIAG and It pops up the message "Windows can not open this file" when I try and open it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users