Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Laptop Restarts

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 VarunV

VarunV

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 01 July 2008 - 11:02 PM

Hi,
First of all I would like to thank this community for helping people solve compuetr related problems.
My new Lenova Laptop often restarts and is sometimes is very slow when connected to the internet. Please help me find a solution.

Thanks,
Varun

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 01 July 2008 - 11:46 PM

Have you got the latest updates including Vista Service Pack 1?

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 02 July 2008 - 03:25 PM

4 things to check in a Vista system (for starters)

1) Check the Reliability Monitor - to do this, go to Start and type in "perfmon.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Then, in the left hand pane, click on Reliability Monitor. Look for errors that have been occurring on a frequent basis.
2) Check the Performance Monitor report - to do this, go to Start and type in "perfmon /report" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Then, let us know any errors that it finds.
3) Check the Event Viewer - to do this, go to Start and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Click on the + sign by Windows Logs in the left hand pane to expand that entry. Then click on the System category and view the errors there - look for errors that occur regularly when the computer is booting up. Then do the same thing for the Application category.
4) Check the Task Manager...Processes tab - to do this, right click on the Task Bar at the bottom of your screen and select "Task Manager" (or, press Ctrl-Alt-Del and select Task Manager when the screen pops up). Then click on the Processes tab. Once in the Processes tab, select the View menu, and select "View columns". In the View columns dialog, scroll down to IO Reads (not IO Read Bytes) and put a check mark next to it. Then click OK to exit the dialog. Expand the Task Manager window to see what's taking the most CPU, Memory, and IO Reads. (this won't be the same as your startup - but we'll get to that after seeing what we can see here).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users