Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hp Laptop Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 geralddb

geralddb

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 01 July 2008 - 05:07 PM

Hi everyone, hope you can help me with my laptop:

We have a HP Pavilioon dv9000 purchased about 1 yr ago. Just recently, we noticed that when we logged into a user profile, it would take a couple minutes to load. Now, as of yesterday, when we power on the machine, the lights come on and it sound like the the hard drive starts to spin but nothing else happens (the screen doesn't even come on). It then sits for a minute and the the lights go off and then come back on. It seems to cycle through this.

I don't know if this is a vista issue, or a virus, or what, but your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gerald

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:24 PM

Try plugging in an external monitor (usually a blue plug in the side or back of the laptop). There'll be a Fn key and a picture of monitors to switch between the 2. If you get a picture there (and not on the laptop screen), then it's a safe bet that there's a problem with the screen.

If it's still within the 1 year, get to a repair center!!! If it's a warranty issue you'll want it fixed under warranty rather than paying out of pocket for it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 ShoringFan

ShoringFan

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 01 July 2008 - 10:56 PM

just get it to near repair center, it may have some problems about your motherboards.

#4 geralddb

geralddb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 02 July 2008 - 05:43 PM

Thanks for the info,

I spoke with HP, and it is still under warranty, so off it goes to the repair centre.

They had me do some tests and they seem to think the motherboard is shot, although I'll try the external monitor.

Cheers,

Gerald

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 02 July 2008 - 05:57 PM

If it works with the external monitor that usually means that the onboard video is broken (and it's integrated into the motherboard).

FWIW - most service centers do not repair parts on computers. It just costs too much to hire an experienced tech for that. So what they do is simply replace the defective part (in this case it's likely to be the motherboard). That'd cost a fortune if it was out of warranty ($400 to $800 at the service center's prices) - so it's good that it happened now rather than just after the warranty lapsed.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users