Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Clean This Off?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 glddstgpsy

glddstgpsy

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 01 July 2008 - 03:38 PM

My computer at home is infected with some sort of virus. The entire task bar at the bottom is hidden, the config.sys file is hidden, there is nothing in Documents and Settings, I cannot access internet explorer (when I click, it flashes up then disappears), I cannot copy and paste anything into anywhere (including my pictures which are not backed up, i know, that was stupid...). The windows task buttons on the keyboard do nothing, Windows Defender is not working (I get an error message when I boot up the computer that says I need to restart and look in Help and Support as to how to manually start it). AVG anti spyware finds nothing on the computer whatsoever. This all started Sunday night when something was accidentally downloaded and installed on my computer from a site (I didnt do it!).

I had a friend come over and look at it, but it seems as though anything he tried to do to repair the computer was blocked by whatever virus this is. We tried booting in safe mode, but the task bar still was not there. He tried inserting the recovery disk, and on teh DOS screen (black & white) he typed something (maybe a recent log of whatever) and it showed the date, time, another column, and the file name of recently changed files (i think). Sunday, at 8:21PM (which is the only entry for that time, and thats when it happened) it showed system32. He thinks whatever virus this is re-wrote the system32 file or folder.

Ive tried going into the task manager, bringing up the RUN window, and typing in explore.exe, and it says it cannot complete the command or something like that. Ive tried typing in msconfig, and it says it cannot complete the command.

I cannot post a hijack this logfile because I cannot access internet explorer. I havent tried printing, but I may be able to print it out and scan to a pdf here at work, and possibly insert as an image.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get whatever this is off my computer? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users