Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Warning Message $mft

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jn516

jn516

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 01 July 2008 - 03:11 PM

Hello Everyone,
I am hoping someone can help with an error message I've been getting for the last week.

I am running XP Sp1 and just started getting the following:

$MFT is corrupt and unreadable.

I have run chkdsk with f and r switches several times. I alway get a clean disk report when chkdsk completes.

When I searched this message, I saw references to a failing hard drive, however chkdsk utility did not find any bad sectors.

Thanks,

June

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 01 July 2008 - 03:40 PM

Hello jn516 and welcome.

Can you start the system at all?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2008 - 04:15 PM

If you've run chkdsk with the /f or /r parameter and this didn't fix it, then the problem is likely to go deeper than just a corrupt Master File Table.

I'd suggest first running a free, bootable diagnostic from the hard drive manufacturer's website.

If the drive tests good, then I'd suggest booting from your XP installation CD an entering the Recovery Console: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-install-the-windows-xp-recovery-console/

Once in there, type each of the following commands exactly as they appear, and press Enter after each one. Answer Y and press Enter for the prompts that appear.

fixmbr

fixboot

I don't expect the last paragraph to fix things (it's just a stab in the dark) - but it won't hurt as long as the drive passed the diagnostic mentioned in the second paragraph. If the drive tests good and the MFT is still corrupt (and chkdsk /r doesn't fix it), then that most likely means that both copies of the MFT are corrupt. Rebuilding it manually is possible - but way, way beyond my ability (it involves directly editing the MFT on the hard drive) and requires an in depth knowledge of how the NTFS file system operates and an equally in depth knowledge of the directory structure on your hard drive.

I'd suggest slaving the hard drive to another computer to see if it's recognized. And if it's not (this is likely) then you'll have to use data recovery software to recover your data.

Finally, you'll have to reformat the hard drive and reinstall Windows. I'd suggest that you also install Service Pack 2 and 3 when you do - this will help to improve the reliability of your system in the future.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 jn516

jn516
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2008 - 06:10 AM

Hello jn516 and welcome.

Can you start the system at all?

Hi,
yes the system boots up fine and I am able to access all my files.

June

#5 jn516

jn516
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2008 - 06:13 AM

If you've run chkdsk with the /f or /r parameter and this didn't fix it, then the problem is likely to go deeper than just a corrupt Master File Table.

I'd suggest first running a free, bootable diagnostic from the hard drive manufacturer's website.

If the drive tests good, then I'd suggest booting from your XP installation CD an entering the Recovery Console: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-install-the-windows-xp-recovery-console/

Once in there, type each of the following commands exactly as they appear, and press Enter after each one. Answer Y and press Enter for the prompts that appear.

fixmbr

fixboot

I don't expect the last paragraph to fix things (it's just a stab in the dark) - but it won't hurt as long as the drive passed the diagnostic mentioned in the second paragraph. If the drive tests good and the MFT is still corrupt (and chkdsk /r doesn't fix it), then that most likely means that both copies of the MFT are corrupt. Rebuilding it manually is possible - but way, way beyond my ability (it involves directly editing the MFT on the hard drive) and requires an in depth knowledge of how the NTFS file system operates and an equally in depth knowledge of the directory structure on your hard drive.

I'd suggest slaving the hard drive to another computer to see if it's recognized. And if it's not (this is likely) then you'll have to use data recovery software to recover your data.

Finally, you'll have to reformat the hard drive and reinstall Windows. I'd suggest that you also install Service Pack 2 and 3 when you do - this will help to improve the reliability of your system in the future.

Hi,
will check WD's site for the diagnostic boot disk and run that. Then try your other suggestions.

Thanks,
June

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users