Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Installing New Video Card

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 ElonOF06

ElonOF06

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 01 July 2008 - 02:40 PM

So I just got a new video card delivered today and tried to install it. It came with a 6 pin power connector, but I can't find anywhere to connect it to. I tried installing the card sans power connector and just got a loud continuous beep when I powered it up.

Can someone tell me where the power connector goes? I was hoping the directions would say, but all they said was "If your card comes with an external power connector, we strongly suggest you use it."

My computer is a "new" as of this Christmas, Dell Inspiron 531 with Windows Vista 32bit Operating System and AMD 64 Athlon x2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ 2.80GHz.

Thanks for any help.
Ryan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 01 July 2008 - 03:21 PM

What card did you get?
I know my graphics card came with a socket for a power cable, and I hooked it up directly from my power pack and it was fine. Make sure all the cables are placed firmly.

Also, let me know if any errors poppup up when you got this loud continuous beep.

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#3 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 01 July 2008 - 04:26 PM

Hi, I downloaded your manual from the Dell web site and to be frank it doesn't look good. First your P/S is only a 250W which is not up to the job with and 800 series cards. Second it does not come with the power connector for the Video card. Third your system has on board video which would need to be disabled in the bios before installing the new card but whith what your system is and not knowing what card you bought you would need a new P/S.
MCP
MSDST

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 01 July 2008 - 06:59 PM

Some PCI-e video cards come with the 6-pin connector, as I understand it.

Most current power supplies come with 6-pin connectors for such cards.

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/faqpsus.html

Louis

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 01 July 2008 - 06:59 PM

I think he would be fine for a while with a 250-watt Dell power supply. They aren't the best, but I've read Dell underrates their power supplies quite a bit. A 250-watt Dell psu is probably closer to 350-watt. Tomshardware just did a review on building a sub-$1000 pc, and it was running two 8800Gt's in SLI. All they used was a quality 400-watt psu and it worked fine. I'd still recommend getting a new psu though because Dell's aren't of high quality.

Also, his video card should of came with a molex to 6-pin power connector. In the manual, did it say he has free molex connectors?

Finally, most of the time the new card will disable the integrated automatically. I know a lot of people have had problems with this, but I've upgraded quite a few computers (even Dell's) from integrated to a discrete graphics card, and the computer automatically selected the new video card as the default.

Sorry, I'm kind of putting you down monty007, but these are my thoughts. I think he should probably still get a new power supply, but I don't see why the card wouldn't work with his current one.. Also, he has a similar post in the games section of the forums, and i know his card came with the molex to 6-pin adapter because it was the evga retail box from newegg.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#6 ElonOF06

ElonOF06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2008 - 08:48 PM

First off, thanks to everyone thats trying to help!

This is the card I got, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130332
It did come with a 6 pin power connector, but I cant find/don't think I have anything to plug it into.
The only spare plug I have coming out of the power supply is flat and black. I can take a picture of it if you'd like...

Oh, and no error codes when I tried to start it up, just the loud constant sound.

Edited by ElonOF06, 01 July 2008 - 08:51 PM.

#7 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2008 - 09:14 PM

It did come with a 6 pin power connector, but I cant find/don't think I have anything to plug it into.

It came with a connector? :thumbsup:

You should have a 6-pin PCIe cable coming straight from your power supply. Plug the cable from the power supply straight into the graphics card and you should be all set :huh:

unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#8 ElonOF06

ElonOF06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2008 - 09:20 PM

It came with a connector? :thumbsup:

You should have a 6-pin PCIe cable coming straight from your power supply. Plug the cable from the power supply straight into the graphics card and you should be all set :huh:

There isn't a 6 pin PCIe cable coming from the power supply...only a flat black plug

#9 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2008 - 09:26 PM

There isn't a 6 pin PCIe cable coming from the power supply...only a flat black plug

Really hate to do this, but do you mind taking a picture?

Note: I'm tempted to think that you may need to change your power supply. It may not have the available cables to get this monster of a card running. Also, mind taking a photo of the connector you got with your card?

Edited by aommaster, 01 July 2008 - 09:27 PM.

unite_blue.png

#10 ElonOF06

ElonOF06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2008 - 09:34 PM

Pics are on photobucket, lets see if they show up.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And the connector:
Posted Image
Posted Image

I'm thinking I'll either need to upgrade the power supply or return the card for a unit that doesn't require a power adapter.

#11 ElonOF06

ElonOF06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2008 - 09:35 PM

I think you can read the stuff on the PS better in this pic.
Posted Image

#12 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2008 - 09:39 PM

Absolute awesomeness! Thanks

I think I may have spotted something you can do:
If you take a look at picture #3, you'll notice that there is a cable coming out from the black plug. The end of it is a power cable (white in colour). Plug the connectors that you got from the graphics card (also white) and plug the other end into the graphics card. See if that works :thumbsup:

unite_blue.png

#13 ElonOF06

ElonOF06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2008 - 09:47 PM

Are you talking about the white plug hanging to the right of the black plug? If so, its not the correct size. I'm uploading a better pic of it now.

Posted Image

And this shows the size difference. The white plugs from the 6-pin connector that came with the video card are on the bottom, and the white plug that was hanging in the previous pic is on top.

Posted Image

Edited by ElonOF06, 01 July 2008 - 09:54 PM.

#14 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2008 - 09:53 PM

Are you talking about the white plug hanging to the right of the black plug? If so, its not the correct size. I'm uploading a better pic of it now.

Wow... I thought that the two white plugs should fit.

Take a look around your computer case and see if the white connectors that came with your graphics card can fit with any white power supply cable. I can see that at the bottom right at the far back of your case, there are other white connects. Maybe those fit?

unite_blue.png

#15 ElonOF06

ElonOF06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2008 - 10:09 PM

I've combed every inch of the case and can't find anything other power plugs :thumbsup:

Its looking like I'll either have to replace the PS, or exchange the card for a lesser unit that doesn't require the extra power.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users