Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lan (local Area Connection) Disapperaed From List!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 morehouse96

morehouse96

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 01 July 2008 - 12:39 PM

The LAN (local area network) connection for my computer has disappeared. I have tried to install new hardware several times on the control panel, and to try and set up the connection from control panel, but to no avail. I am running a Dell Inspiron 600m.

Can someone please help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The G Bomb

The G Bomb

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:19 AM

I'll assume you are using a wired connection and XP here. Instead of just trying to install new hardware, you might want to try to uninstall the network interface card (NIC) from device manager first, then restart and then try to reinstall it if it doesn't get picked automatically by windows.

You can get to device manager easily by right clicking on My Computer then choosing Properties. When the System Properties window opens go to the Hardware Tab and device manager is right at the top. If your NIC isn't highlighted as having a problem look under Network Adapters and see if a device is listed that mentions Ethernet. If its listed, right click and choose uninstall then restart. You may need to download the latest drivers for the card but without another PC connected to the internet that may prove troublesome.

Have you also tried the Create New Connection wizard under Network Connections in Control Panel? You may be able to choose "Set up a Home or Small Office Network" in there. It might give you more of a clue where the problem lies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users