Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Reformatt Drive Even With Cd

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jhonyquest97

jhonyquest97

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:02 AM

So heres how it all started. I would usually be using my zune software for music and the computer would just turn off at random times. It got real bad and the more i restarted to computer the quicker it would shut off. So i saved all my stuff on an external and tried to reformatt from the drive. Then when it was almost done the computer would shut down. So then i tried a full reformatt from the cd and the same thing happens. At the very end it shuts off and now when i try to start it i get this message....

NTLDR is Missing
Press CTRL ALT Del to restart.

Is my hd shot? What can i do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:58 AM

Read through this article:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm

This may or may not resolve the original issue that your computer shuts down randomly. I would assume that this may be an overheating problem which would cause this symptom.
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:59 AM

There's several things that could be causing this - the most common being that the Boot Sector on your drive cannot locate NTLDR.

I'd suggest first running a free, bootable diagnostic from the hard drive manufacturer's website.

If the drive tests good, then I'd suggest booting from your XP installation CD an entering the Recovery Console: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-install-the-windows-xp-recovery-console/

Once in there, type each of the following commands exactly as they appear, and press Enter after each one. Answer Y and press Enter for the prompts that appear.

chkdsk /r

fixmbr

fixboot
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 darkillusions

darkillusions

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 01 July 2008 - 03:34 PM

I had a similar problem sometime back after I unknowingly deleted a system file (maybe NTDETECT) from C drive. douglas martin's link of computerhope's tutorial rescued me. I suggest you try the same, and turn on hide system files from folder options if you've got it turned on to make sure system files dont get deleted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users