Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Simple Lag Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mikeperhaps

Mikeperhaps

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 01 July 2008 - 12:34 AM

:thumbsup: When playing first person shooter games like Counter-Strike Source, why are players' characters teleporting around as if I was lagging, when in fact my ping is well below anything considered to be lag? Any ideas? My guess would be other processes taking away bandwidth, but I haven't been able to prove that.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 01 July 2008 - 11:02 AM

Hello Mikeperhaps,

Have you checked the Task Manager on the system CTRL+ALT+DEL? look under the processes tab for the most memory usage.

Also what are the specs of the system in question? And what game are you running? Have you had this problem before on the same system?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 01 July 2008 - 02:33 PM

I'd consider finding out whats the cause. The only things I can think of.

1, Your internet connection is the cause
2, Your computer is the cause
3, The server is crap ( I've had it happen tons even when even my pings low )
4, Unlikely but everyone who was playing had a bad connection?

1, If you ping is fine on the server ( 100 or less is fine ) you could test the bandwitdh at www.speedtest.net There usually pretty accurate.
2, Download Fraps here and see how many frames per seond you're getting in game. As long as it's constant and stays above 35 it should be playable.
3, Try different servers and see if you get the same problem.

And for your question. I'll try and name a few.

If you have a wireless router I'd suggest turning off the wireless signal unless you use it. Might be a pesky neighbour stealing your bandwitdh.

Programs such as Xfire, MSN, AIM, Limewire, Azureus, even your anti-virus, ect will use your bandwitdh. Has this problem always been there or has it just occured?
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#4 randomuser83

randomuser83

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:39 PM

Assuming the problem has just started, it can be your ISP, the server's ISP, the only other thing that comes to mind is I know when a single person has a horrible ping, it can make multiple people look like they are lagging (happened to me a few times but may just be in theory). That's what I can think of right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users