Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Laptop Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dizzydancingdude

dizzydancingdude

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:10 PM

I'm very much an amateur but have been asked if I could find out what's wrong with a friend's Dell Laptop. :thumbsup: Apparently the screen 'suddenly went blank' and then the machine failed to reboot.
It revved up a little & then went still - the screen remained totally blank.:inlove:

Upon inspection I found that the battery had come out (?) After putting it back, the same thing happened when I tried to reboot.
The 'main on light' - (circle with line through) remained constantly green.

I've left it off for a while, left it on for a while, tried to reboot it using XP cd - which I could hear for a few seconds - then it stopped.

I don't know for sure how the battery came out but I know something had fallen from an upper landing earlier and had hit something hard as it landed :trumpet: ..... I'm thinkin it could've bounced off the laptop which was on standby....... :cool:

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
:flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 01 July 2008 - 10:47 AM

Hello dizzydancingdude,

Did the owner of the laptop notice strange activity on the system prior to it not booting?

How old is the laptop? And do you have the make and model number?

Do you see anything on the screen at all no matter how faint?

The hard drive could have failed, but if you can't see anything on the screen then it is most likely a damaged screen or something is loose inside the laptop.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users