Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Programs to make your computer safe

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 craigjrose

craigjrose

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 10 April 2005 - 09:38 AM

There is so much info on the web about security that it is more confusing than than actually downloading and surviving a virus or a trojan. Let me give some of my insight after years of experimentation with almost every known software protection combination. My preferences are; and I mean running these programs at the same time! McAfee Virus and their firewall, Zone AlarmPro,Ad-Aware SE Pro by Lavasoft, Pest Patrol(free Version),Hijack This,Spy-Bot, Javacools SpywareBlaster, and Webroots Spy Sweeper. You might ask why? These programs seem redundant, but actually they overlap very little because each one has their own area of specialty. Some are great at adware, while some are efficient at trojans. The most important feature with this combination is that they do not conflict or give false positives. while covering you for almost every known mal-varient. You will also need a good registry repair, the best is Tune-up Utilities 2004, You will also need the best hard drive defragmenter, that would be Executive Software's Diskeeper, pro not home. And don't forget Answers that Work's program, Ultimate Trouble Shooter. With double firewalls one will have to be set at a lower "priority". If you use Zone Alarm as you primary firewall, and McAfee as you virus protection, nothing will get in or out of you computer without you allowing it. I defragment and clear up my registry every time I turn on my computer. You might ask, What about Norton? It is just too buggy and conflicts with everything. I hope this helps anyone how is confused. Just a note, Everybody one time or another downloads a problem, but with the right tools you can quickly bring your computer back.

Craig

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 10 April 2005 - 01:13 PM

That is good advice.
You're right about the confusion.
While I use a slightly different combination, those you mention can certainly do a nice
job, as you have explained, of prevention.

With all software loaded one should take the time, as you have, to determine
exactly how they co-exist. There is some confusion , generally, about what
ANTI-this or that works with another. The firewall issue, commonly advised to
be simply one, can also be dealt with individually, dependant on circumstances.

Thanks for your input.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users