Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

4+1 Usb Card

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Haviland Tuf

Haviland Tuf

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 30 June 2008 - 04:28 PM

I recently installed a new usb pci card.

NEC Chipset, high performance USB2.0 controller
4 X External ports, 1 X Internal port
http://www.xpcgear.com/usb20pcihosc.html

It works fine and I have it doing all I want. However I thought I would make use of the internal port by running a usb extension in through the case and use that for occasional items. The internal port works fine if all the external ports are empty but whenever anything is plugged into the external ports it stops working. Again if the external ports are left empty it works again. I have tried googling this and had a look at the makers website etc but cannot find anything. It is not a real problem but it just has me mystified. Any ideas?

Edited by Haviland Tuf, 30 June 2008 - 04:31 PM.

Don't Look Back

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2008 - 10:51 AM

Hello Haviland Tuf,

I would suspect that the card does not have enough power to run all the devices at the same time. I'm not entirely sure there is anyway to change this.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 Haviland Tuf

Haviland Tuf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2008 - 04:51 PM

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your reply. What is the internal usb port for anyway? Are there devices that connect to it inside the case in any circumstances?

Haviland
Don't Look Back

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2008 - 04:59 PM

I was under the impression that you were referring to a USB PCI expansion card for the desktop. Which is essentially a card that has some extra USB slots for peripheral hardware to connect to.
Regards,

Alan.

#5 Haviland Tuf

Haviland Tuf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2008 - 04:50 AM

Yes I was (I installed it because of advice from this thread [url=http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic150873.html]) and I am happily using the 4 external slots but it also has an internal slot and I was wondering if I could make use of it too.

Edited by Haviland Tuf, 04 July 2008 - 05:10 AM.

Don't Look Back

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 04 July 2008 - 02:22 PM

My WAG :thumbsup:...would be that the internal slot would be for USB devices which might be installed in a case (e.g., USB DVD drive, card reader, etc.).

The card advertises 5 working ports...if you have a problem with the working parts on your card....why not simply send it back as defective?

Louis

#7 Haviland Tuf

Haviland Tuf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 10:50 AM

Hi Louis,

It is working fine with the 4 external ports and that is enough really. Just tried the 5th for the sake of it. I couldn't be bothered sending it back. Too lazy!!! :thumbsup:

Just wondered if that was the design or something. I'll just be happy the main 4 are fine!

Thanks for the replies,

Haviland
Don't Look Back

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 12:00 PM

No problem, glad to help. Its a shame the 5th port doesn't work.
Regards,

Alan.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 12:02 PM

Just curious, did the instructions make any mention of the intended use of the fifth internal port? I would think that if there was a special application for this there would be notation explaining this.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 04:56 PM

Just curious, did the instructions make any mention of the intended use of the fifth internal port? I would think that if there was a special application for this there would be notation explaining this.

The instructions on mine were rather lax on that point. I found aUSB patch cord where I could hook the internal plug to my panel mount multicard reader

Edited by garmanma, 06 July 2008 - 04:56 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#11 Haviland Tuf

Haviland Tuf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 05:24 AM

There were no instructions to speak of with this either. Cheap internet supplies!! 'You gets what yous pays for' I guess.

I tried running a standard usb extension cable out through the case and also tried plugging a usb fash memory direct into the internal slot. Both simply stopped functioning once any of the external slots were utilised.

Edited by Haviland Tuf, 08 July 2008 - 05:25 AM.

Don't Look Back

#12 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 06:49 AM

It should also be noted that most "4+1" USB cards only have 4 ports, and one of the external ports is the same as the internal port.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#13 Haviland Tuf

Haviland Tuf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 01:30 PM

Hi Billy,

That sounds like the answer. Thanks for that!

haviland
Don't Look Back

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users