Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kaspersky A/v And Zone Alarm Pro Firewall

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 chapin33

chapin33

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 30 June 2008 - 04:10 PM

Recently installed Kapersky as my A/V program. While installing, it would not allow me to install on lap top because the lap top has Zone Alarm Pro installed as the firewall. I got a error message telling me that the K could not be installed.

Is there a work around? I would like to use both programs which surprises me that they would not be able to work together.

Please advise and thanks for all assistance offered.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 30 June 2008 - 04:32 PM

While installing, it would not allow me to install on lap top because the lap top has Zone Alarm Pro installed as the firewall.

If it is only the Firewall that doesn't let Kaspersky install, then disable your zone Alarm pro until you have succsfully downloaded your Kaspersky. In the Mean time turn on your Windows Firewall or something. Its better to have a firewall on than nothing. To turn on Windows Firewall, go to Start>Run> type in "firewall.cpl"(without the quotes)
Windows firewall will pop up and make sure it is on. If its not On then please turn it On and press Ok.
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#3 chapin33

chapin33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2008 - 05:42 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I was not able to simply disable the ZA firewall. I was instructed to remove/uninstall it, which I had to do in order to complete the install. I have added the Windows Firewall back on so I at least have that but really wanted Zone Alarm.

Any work arounds for both products to coexist and be "happy" with one another?

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:37 PM

No workarounds.
This is a known feature of KAV. It will not install if it even sees traces of some other security, be it ZA firewall or most others.
The only solution is total uninstallation of ZA-Pro, then installation of KAV, then reinstall ZA-Pro and they coexist happily ever after :thumbsup:
You will need to give rights to KAV updates in ZA Program list as well as KAV engine. Just allow and remember when ZA throws the alerts. Likewise in KAV - unfortunately I don't recall the details.

Remember to tell ZA to shut off Windows Firewall.

You have one of the best protection systems out there between ZA-Pro and KAV. Enjoy!

Edited by tos226, 30 June 2008 - 10:40 PM.

#5 chapin33

chapin33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2008 - 06:04 PM

Thanks to both Tos and Extremeboy. I was able to add ZA Pro back and it is working with KAV. One final question, it seems that it takes ZA Pro a long time to load on start-up. Is this norm? I think not?

I have to wait for ZA Pro to load before I can advance anything, i.e. open files, open IE, Firefox, etc. This just is annoying and I wondered if anyone had this same problem. If so, how do you solve this?

Thanks!

#6 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2008 - 06:25 PM

So how long is long ? :thumbsup:
If you're watching the ZA client icon in the system tray, that's always well, well, well after the actual, important ZA drivers load with vsmon.exe. So don't worry about the client, so long as vsmon load very early in the bootup process that's all that counts. When the icon appears, you can open the client part and fiddle with it.

Sometimes TVDEBUG.log in the windows\internet logs directory gets big and writes take some time. You can delete it in safe mode.

#7 chapin33

chapin33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2008 - 08:04 PM

sorry but I do not think you understand. I have a long lag time waiting for the icon to even show in the taskbar. I understand that the drives are loaded earlyin the boot process but it just seems that the whole boot process is very slow.

also, how do you look for those logs that you mentioned?

thanks for your help.

#8 chapin33

chapin33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:50 PM

Just wanted to follow-up and see if anyone can assist? Still having long load-up time on initial boot up.

#9 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 01:23 PM

Still having long load-up time on initial boot up.

How long is the boot up? Did this happen recently?
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#10 chapin33

chapin33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 03:16 PM

Thanks for the reply.

The boot up time is 1-3 minutes. The problem began last Sunday and remains each day when the lap top is initially booted.

#11 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 04:31 PM

Hi,
Is this promblem related to your Zone Alarm, I ask this because after the installation of ZA you started having this promblem, before you installed ZA was the startup still slow?

#12 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 11:29 PM

The logs are in c:\windows\Internet Logs.

1-3 min wait for the ZA icon to appear in the tray is not unreasonable I think. 1-2 min I think is more like it.
But I repeat: It's only the client, the GUI interface for ZA, that comes in after your KAV and whatever other stuff you have in the system tray. I have a total of 7 items there. Some people have 2-3, others have 15-20 and they complain of things being slow.

I'd be looking into everything that starts up when the computer boots. Unless you've eliminated all the junk that the computer vendors give you, that list can be enormous. Such as 50-70 processes running (task manager display). Also, are there other security programs you run? If so, which. Perhaps there are some conflicts.

I just thought of something else. How is your updates schedule for KAV? Perhaps it goes for updates immediately when you boot and you might change it to some other time and frequency. Likewise, does ZA Pro update anything? Normally in paid versions such as the suite, ZA updates come in within the first 15 minutes.

Edited by tos226, 03 July 2008 - 11:32 PM.

#13 chapin33

chapin33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2008 - 03:17 PM

Hi,
Is this promblem related to your Zone Alarm, I ask this because after the installation of ZA you started having this promblem, before you installed ZA was the startup still slow?

the problem was there before the ZA Pro reinstall. Thought it was either ZA or perhaps AVG Free 8.0 which as you know has had many issues with it. I moved from AVG to KAV to ensure that I had a strong A/V program.

kind of feel like I am grasping at straws, but totally appreciate your assistance as well as TOS.

#14 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2008 - 06:16 PM

Hi,
There are many reasons why your startup is slowing down. Anti-virus programs take up a huge amount of resorces espically On-access demand scanners that run at the background when you start your Pc. Zone alarm is the same kind of deal. I would suggust you give a list of startup so we can see what is running on your PC at startup.
You can download this script here:
http://billsway.com/vbspage/
Scrool down until you see the Startup List and click it and download it.
Once you download it Extract it and double click on it, it takes a while once its complete a notepad will open with the results.Paste back with the results we might need to disable some items that are unnecssary at startup as it may improve your performance.
Also how much Ram does your computer have and what security programs do you have enabled and use reguarly?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users