Posted 30 June 2008 - 03:04 PM
Hi - I've been trying to find a fix for a Windows XP Home hangup. I'm finding lots of discussion, but no actual fixes. Can anyone help?
After the welcome screen on boot-up I get a black screen that hangs up the system for a few minutes with a C:\Windows\system32\net.exe DOS box, flashes to full black screen, comes back with the same dos box, then flashes on a C:\Windows\system32\ipconfig.exe box then starts up normally. If I 'x' out the Dos boxes, they just come back.
I've tried some of the standard stuff:
- Updated anti-virus (free AVG) and ran in safe mode.
- Ran CCleaner in safemode.
- Checked start files in system information - nothing looked too strange
- Deleted some old programs (Symantec anti-virus and an old registry cleaner program)
- Installed XP Service pack 3
- Installed and ran spybot search and destroy
I'm running this system on a small home network (wired) set up through XP Home. None of the other systems are having this problem, and none of them show any type of virus (I found one bit of info that says net.exe can be affected by the w32.dabber.c worm but none of my virus programs are finding this worm)
Any suggestions? Thanks, Char