Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 unadkat

unadkat

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 30 June 2008 - 02:50 PM

Hi everyone

I have a Dell machine here with a SATA HDD inside and basically when the machine boots up nad goes past the windows logo I straight way get the BSOD Stop Error: 0x00000024 and after that I have to restart the machine.

Its a western Digital Hard drive.

tried going into safe mode but am unable to enter Safe mode and also I have tried last known good config and that didn't work either.

So i decided to use the XP CD and boot from cd and its boots perfectly fine as soon as I select press enter to Install Xp and then it gives me the list of hard drives which I want to format.

Checked Bios and the Hard drive is detected on there.

After that straight away I get the BSOD stop error which is listed in the first paragraph. Tried the repair option on recovery console and that doesn't work either.

The motherboard has a Hard disK utility checker and I ran that and from the result that I got from that was Fail Error code 7.

It seems as though either the hard is not being recognized or its damaged totally. used 3 different XP cds and I still ended up with the BSOD Stop error.

And because of this i cant run the check disk utility to check for corruptions.

The PC has work on it which is very is important so i cant format the hard drive.. either I do a dual boot or repair the OS. but these options seem impossible seeing as I get the BSOD.

Unable to test on a second machine because the second machine doesn't have a Sata connetion on the motherboard.

Does anyone have a another solution to overcome this problem please?

All help given is greatly appreciated.

regards
unadkat

Edited by unadkat, 30 June 2008 - 02:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 30 June 2008 - 05:05 PM

You could try booting the computer with a live Linux distribution like Puppy Linux.

Although, it may be that the hard drive is dead.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 30 June 2008 - 07:43 PM

Is there only one hard drive in the system?

If not...what drive is XP installed on?

How many drives are currently installed on this system?

Louis

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:48 AM

A STOP 0x24 error is an error using the NTFS file system on your hard drive. Usually it's either a corruption of the file system itself or a problem with your hard drive (although there's many other possible causes). There's conflicting information (on the web) about the Fail Error Code 7 - some says it's a hard drive failur, some say it's a file system error.

So, the first thing to do would be to run "chkdsk /r" from the Recovery Console. To do this, boot from the XP installation CD and select "r" (for Recovery Console) at the first screen. Follow the prompts to select the Windows installation, and enter the administrator's password (if you don't recall one, try just pressing Enter).

Then type this command "chkdsk /r" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Let the scan run and tell us if it encounters any errors. When it's done, type "exit" (without the quotes) and press Enter to exit the Recovery Console - then try rebooting.

Another test to run would be a free, bootable hard drive diagnostic from the Western Digital website: http://support.wdc.com/product/download.as...1=6&lang=en

The first procedure will attempt to repair the NTFS file system, while the second will just give you physical information about the disk. Since there's important data on it - I'd use it sparingly until you get the data recovered. You may have to invest in a SATA to USB adapter to slave it to another PC to recover the data (if possible).

If you still can't recover the data, then you'll be faced with consulting a professional data recovery service - and that's usually very, very expensive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users