Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need help ; suggestions.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 vitico66

vitico66

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 10 April 2005 - 08:58 AM

Good morning;
I am trying to upgrade my memory some, bought this computer from Dell about 15 months back, and as i learn a little more (keyword: "little")
about pc's i realize that i could benefit from adding some memory; so i went to Dell and purchased 512 mb in memory, spoke to a sales rep to make sure that it was the right memory, anyways my question is: if i have two slots for memory, and only one is being used with 256 mb of memory, then; can i add 512 mb? or can i only go w/ 256 more? i can go up to 1024 mb's but i wonder if it has to be distributed equally b/tween both slots???? sorry if i sound stupid or if it is a stupid question but being a newbie could be difficult at times :thumbsup: . here is some info of what i have now; any suggestions are welcome.
vitico66

dell dimension 2400
x86-based pc
processor: celeron 2.40 ghz
motherboard: dell w/ chipset intel i845g
total physical mem: 256 MB
available physical mem: 40.57 MB
total virtual mem: 2.00 GB
available virtual mem: 1.96 GB

If more info is needed; please ask

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 10 April 2005 - 01:19 PM

You should be able to add the 512MB into the motherboard alongside the 256,
resulting in 768 MB of memory. I have done similar, with a combination of
64, 64 & 256 = 384MB. I have heard that the largest "stick" should be installed to the slot closest to the processor, although I think that is optional ... it does make sense
as theoretically that RAM card will be accessed slightly faster, and that would make the 256MB in your case, the "extra available to use if needed".
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 vitico66

vitico66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 10 April 2005 - 07:57 PM

thanks phawgg;i will do as you suggest, i wonder if it will be a noticeable improvement or i will also have to upgrade my processor from a celeron to a p-4??
im not even sure that it can be done. :thumbsup:
thanks again : vitico66

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users