Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building A Server Box

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tareamer01

tareamer01

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:43 AM

So I have decided I will be setting up a phpBB forum on a small server here at my shop. Since our main server is already bogged down with hosting our invoicing programs and data programs and mechanical reference programs any thought of putting it on that server have been shot down. So. . . I will be building one from scratch. I haven't built a computer from the ground up since oh . . . 1999-2000 somewhere in there so I am WAY WAY out of the loop on what is good and what is bad. Thus far I think I will be using:

1 Pentium III 1.4 GHZ
1 512 MB Ram
2 200g Seagate Hdd (most likely 7200) But none of this is set in stone.

Outside of that I am not sure what would be useful and what would be considered excess. I figured out I can run a phpBB demo on my personal PC for the big wigs to see if it is actually something they would want to pursue before we actually spend the money on the parts, but as a result, if they decide to go with it I can use the $300.00 I have been allotted for my budget on spending for the parts I will need.

I am aware that the parts I have listed above will most likely crest at or just above $300.00 but I am trying to work up a frame of reference and figure out what I could throw together that would be efficient and cost effective. At this point if it pops over 300.00 I think I could talk them into more money so long as the risk to reward ratio was high enough in their favor. Which it will be once I am done.

The PC won't be running games or need an extremely powerful video card. There won't be any kind of data hosted on that server outside of logs and maybe some pictures posted to the forum of the trucks and what the damage is. I am not going to need a monitor as I can just as easily unhook the one from our main server and move it over for as long as I need it. Peripherals and a case shouldn't be a big deal either, but if I were to need a new case I could work that into the budget as well.

So ultimately I guess my main question is. Working from the ground up on a PC for a small forum server that at the most will host 20-25 users what all would I need? I don't need anyone to price them out for me, I can do that myself. I just need part names and suggestions is all. Just be advised that this computer will be located in a dirty, greasy, stinky, smoke infested, dust filled, dirt soaked diesel garage. I will be doing my best to ensure it stays in a cool and clean environment but I need to ensure the PC is built durable enough to handle the environment it is going to be put in.

Thanks everyone!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 30 June 2008 - 02:39 PM

Since you're not concerned that much about video, you can save some money and get onboard instead of a card. Because of the environment it will be in, I would make sure and get a nice sturdy case for it
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users