Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem Updating Via Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Vaikyuko

Vaikyuko

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:06 AM

I searched for a similar topic, but couldn't find anything. Basically, my problem is this. I have a desktop that crashed from a virus or somesuch, and since I was a little too newbish to attempt actually fixing it (though I did get it working for a week), I eventually just gave up and reformatted.

I am now running a clean Windows XP Professional, with only a NETGEAR wireless router program and Firefox 3 installed. Problem? Prior to installing Firefox, I used Windows Update to begin updating my computer, and noted Service Pack 3 was among the downloads. Everything installed just fine, I rebooted my computer, and then went back to Windows Update for the next slew of updates and patches. Here's where the problem comes in. I attempted to download the updates, and they were downloaded just fine, but now that I have them, they refuse to install. When Windows Update installs, they fail. When I manually click install from the system tray, it fails. When I shut the computer down to have the updates auto-configure, they fail to install (more specifically, it reads "installing update 1 of 8" and then just shuts down anyway).

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or what's blocking the computer from installing proper, but here's the list of updates:
Security Update for Windows XP (KB951698)
Download size: 0 KB , 0 minutes (Downloaded; ready to install)
A security issue has been identified in Microsoft DirectShow that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...

Security Update for Windows XP (KB951376)
A security issue has been identified that could allow an unauthenticated remote attacker to compromise your Microsoft Windows-based system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 for Windows XP (KB950759)
Security issues have been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise a system that is running Microsoft Internet Explorer and gain control over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - June 2008 (KB890830)
After the download, this tool runs one time to check your computer for infection by specific, prevalent malicious software (including Blaster, Sasser, and Mydoom) and helps remove any infection that is found. If an infection is found, the tool will display a status report the next time that you start your computer. A new version of the tool will be offered every month. If you want to manually run the tool on your computer, you can download a copy from the Microsoft Download Center, or you can run an online version from microsoft.com. This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product. To help protect your computer, you should use an antivirus product. Details...

Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP (KB950760)
Security issues have been identified in ActiveX controls that could allow an attacker to compromise a system that is running Microsoft Internet Explorer and gain control over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...

Security Update for Windows XP (KB950762)
A security issue has been identified that could allow an unauthenticated, remote attacker to cause the affected system to stop responding. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...

Update for Windows XP (KB942763)
Installing this update enables your computer to automatically adjust the computer clock on the correct date in 2007 and 2008 due to revised Daylight Saving Time laws in many countries. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...

Security Update for Flash Player (KB923789)
Security issues have been identified in Macromedia Flash Player from Adobe that could allow an attacker to compromise a Windows-based system and gain control over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...

Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP
This free upgrade to Internet Explorer customers offers improvements such as enhanced security, a cleaner look, and features to make everyday tasks such as printing and searching the web easier. This upgrade preserves your current home page, search settings, favorites, and compatible toolbars, and can be uninstalled if you decide to do so. Details...

Perhaps there's a way to manually install the files into directories, since I already have them downloaded? Oh, and I'll mention that I use "Express" to update my computer when Windows Update opens the IE window, and not "Custom". I'm sure it doesn't make a difference much, but I figured I'd mention that.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 neonick

neonick

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 30 June 2008 - 01:53 PM

I had the EXACT same problem. Here's what fixed it for me:

Method 1: Register the Wups2.dll file in Windows
To register the Wups2.dll file in Windows, follow these steps:
1. Stop the Automatic Updates service. To do this, follow these steps:
a. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
b. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
net stop wuauserv
2. Register the Wups2.dll file. To do this, follow these steps:
a. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\wups2.dll
Note For a computer that is running Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
regsvr32 %windir%\syswow64\wups2.dll
b. Click OK on each verification message that you receive.
3. Start the Automatic Updates service. To do this, type the following command at the command prompt, and then press ENTER:
net start wuauserv
4. Exit the command prompt. To do this type exit, and then press ENTER.

#3 Vaikyuko

Vaikyuko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 01 July 2008 - 02:01 PM

Thanks! It worked like a charm. I appreciate the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users