Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mssql To Mysql Database Connection

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:06 AM

I have an application where I need to replicate rows from one server running MSSQL (Currently running a Microsoft Dynamics instance) and send them to a MySQL server. I'm currently thinking of doing this with an ODBC connector, but I'm not sure that's going to work.

If it doesn't, I'm looking for a common file format which can be recognized by both MSSQL and MySQL. Any ideas?

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 30 June 2008 - 01:34 PM

http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articl...-microsoft.html

There is no reason to do it yourself when there are already tools to do it for you.

#3 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2008 - 01:40 PM

Hello, groovicus.

I would assume you are refering to this?
http://www.kofler.cc/mysql/mssql2mysql.txt

True, but I don't have the option of doing this manually... it has to execute from a batch script nightly, without intervention.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:43 PM

Then might I respectfully suggest that if you are having to make nightly transfers from one sql database to another, then there is a serious problem in implementation. There are any number of things that can happen when migrating data (which is why it isn't something that should be done every night). Is there a really good reason for operating like this, because this is a horrible idea. What is it that you are trying to accomplish exactly?

#5 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:11 PM

Hello, groovicus

We have an internal server running MSSQL and Microsoft CRM, which has a knowledgebase section. The external server is running MySQL and Joomla!. The servers can't connect because there's a firewall between. An SSH tunnel is connected for ~ 30 seconds through the firewall when updates to the dataset on the internal server can be replicated to the external server. Not much I can do about the implementation... I'm only tasked with making a converter, not with setting things up :thumbsup:

I agree with you that it's not such a good idea.

Billy3
Posted Image

#6 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:18 PM

Forgot to add...

I figured out a way to do this:

I have to write sort of a custom program to handle it, but I'm just going to use an ODBC Connection to each database. We'll see if it works :D

Billy3
Posted Image

#7 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2008 - 06:33 PM

Not that I think anyone cares, but that's what I ended up doing ;).
Not final code, but in case anyone's interested:
http://billy-oneal.com/joomlaUpdaterProtot...totype/Form1.vb
Yes, the Big Wigs at work need to get their skulls screwed on straight ;). What a nasty system design :thumbsup:!

Billy3
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users