Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home Network

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 secretangel

secretangel

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:52 AM

I apologise if this has been answered already but unfortunately do not have time to read through all the posts.

I have a wired broadband connection. My daughter has a laptop which has wireless capabilities but obviously cannot get online as I do not have wireless broadband.

What I would like to know is whether there is something I can plug into my pc that will enable her to access my broadband account wirelessly.

If so can we both surf at the same time without it costing anymore than my monthly payment, do I have to get hardware from my ISP or can I just buy something off the shelf?

Sorry if this is real basic stuff but haven't got a clue how it works lol.

Thanks
Posted Image

When you wanna give up, and your hearts about to break
Remember that you're perfect, God makes no mistakes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 30 June 2008 - 02:08 PM

Hello secretangel,

There are a few ways to achieve this, but the easiest way by far is to invest in a wireless router

A wireless router will allow for users to connect to to your broadband via wireless.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 rdr8887

rdr8887

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:07 PM

I thought I left a message for this topic earlier, but I guess not. A wireless router is the way to go. You can get one anywhere that sells computer products (Circuit City, Best Buy, Walmart, Office Max, etc...). You can expect to spend between $25-50. I recommend and Netgear Rangemax Wireless router. It is fairly inexpensive (around $30-50 range) and is fairly fast. This would be about the high end of what you will be needing.

They are very easy to install by following the instructions and will hook directly to your ISP Modem/Router (Box that your cable company gave you). You will not pay anymore than you are currently paying and you will be able to surf the internet at the same time as your daughter.

I hope this helps.

#4 Adamsappleone

Adamsappleone

• Members
  • 152 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 02 July 2008 - 07:46 AM

Hope I'm not to late to add this.
In addition to what's been mentioned (very good sug. BTW), as most wireless/wired routers do, double check to make sure it does have a built in Firewall and make sure you run an additional Firewall Program.
There is the possibility (if you do not run a Firewall) that someone can access your internet connection from outside your house with a wireless setup.

Multi-Boot, Vista Ultimate x64, Windows 7 x64 & Windows 8 Pro x64

Posted Image

#5 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2008 - 03:17 PM

Yeah!!! Thanks for this simple to understand information. As someone else who is also clueless, I'm filing this away for "someday". That day being when my husband decides he might like to do a little more than send an email once a month, and decides he really wants that extra computer our daughter has.

:thumbsup:

#6 secretangel

secretangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:12 AM

Thanks for the advice. I am thinking about changing isp so will look at one who provides wireless router as part of the package, which I think most do at the moment.

:thumbsup:
Posted Image

When you wanna give up, and your hearts about to break
Remember that you're perfect, God makes no mistakes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users