Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Sp1 Won't Restart Without Freezing During Post

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JessicaLeighFL

JessicaLeighFL

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:44 AM

Hi everyone,

I've got a 3-year old HP Compaq DC7100CMT with 4GB RAM and installed a fresh, clean install of Vista SP1 OEM copy on an NTFS-formatted HDD. What's strange is that Vista SP1 won't successfully reboot the computer when I tell it to. If I wanted to shut it down, it will do so without incident. However, if I choose to restart, it will leave Windows and go all the way down, but then it will just hang there; right when the hand-off from POST to Windows takes place.

I know that this wasn't an issue with Vista pre-SP1, because all was fine up until that SP1 "upgrade" was added. The OEM SP1 media I'm using is HP factory pressed, so it's not a case of a poorly slip-streamed newsgroup version of SP1 that's causing the reboot failure. I've performed every repair option known to Vista, but none of them made any difference, whatsoever.

I've flashed the system BIOS twice with the hope it would right itself, but that didn't help. I even reverted back to my system's default BIOS settings and tweaked the boot options list so to not give the PC any other drive to boot from, other than Primary HDD 0; thinking that perhaps there was an issue with the PC deciding which of the on-board boot devices to boot from, but that didn't help, either.

If anyone has any suggestions/resolutions for this, please let me know.
Thanks very much!

Jessica
Sincerely,

Jessica Leigh

A+ / MCP / DCSE / HPSE

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 30 June 2008 - 02:52 PM

Some thoughts here:
http://www.aumha.org/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 01 July 2008 - 06:22 AM

My biggest concerns would be with the RAM and the video drivers (I believe your system uses an Intel video card). I'm not a big fan of drivers that are slipstreamed into installation media as I've had issues with them in the past.

RAM issues are sometimes caused by a problem with motherboards addressing the RAM that's not recognized by a 32 bit OS (32 bit Windows will only recognize 3.2 to 3.6 gB of your RAM). This is usually caused by an issue with the motherboard doing DMA transfers. The easiest way to test this is to remove a stick of RAM and see if the problem goes away. Updating the motherboard drivers to the Vista compatible version may help also.

The video drivers should be updated to the latest available from the Intel website (I don't trust computer manufacturer's video drivers since having several issues with video drivers from HP and Microsoft).

If this doesn't work, post back and we can troubleshoot some more.

Edited by usasma, 01 July 2008 - 06:24 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users