Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using Both Ethernet & Usb W/ Cable Modem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JaxBearsFan

JaxBearsFan

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:30 AM

Hi there,

I tried a search of this forum, but the search kept giving me errors with the keywords I used, so forgive me if this was covered earlier.

Here's my setup:

-Homemade Athlon XP PC, runs great
-Comcast high-speed internet, just one IP address (I believe)
-Motorola SURFboard SB5120 (or the like; am at work, can't remember the exact model at home), currently using ethernet port
-Linksys WRT54G Wireless router
-Other devices that use wireless: A Nintendo Wii, an iPhone, 2 Macs

My question is this: I've read across the web that it's "not recommended" to use both the ethernet port *AND* USB port on the back of the Motorola cable modems for internet access. But what I want to do is move my Linksys router from my basement (where the PC, cable line, cable modem and router currently reside) to the main level of my home for better wifi signal reach on the upper level of my home. But I don't wish to run more than one more CAT5e cable run from the basement, through ceiling tiles, and up through a hole I drilled through the floor board/carpeting to the main level of my home if I don't have to (this run is already done/hole already drilled). I've already drilled 2 holes, one for DirecTV copper, and now one more for one CAT5e run.

My plan was to keep the PC/cable modem in the basement, and just run the ethernet cable from the back of the cable modem upstairs to an entertainment center where I'd plug in the ethernet cable to the Linksys wifi router. And, when I wanted to access the internet from the basement PC, I'd simply plug in the USB cable from the cable modem to the basement PC's USB port (the ethernet cord would already be disconnected from the PC).

Can this be done? Do you/anyone else know of someone who's done this successfully? I realize that I *could* just move the cable modem & Linksys router to the main level & run an etherent cable to the basement for the PC, but I don't really wish to drill any more holes & move more equipment than I need to (I don't have any more space available for a PC in my home other than in my basement). Also, I very rarely run the PC in the basement, other than for some light PC gaming once/twice a week at night...otherwise, I use my MacBook (wife uses her iBook) and iPhone for all internet access during the day.

Basically what I'm wondering is if I can run both an ethernet cable from my modem downstairs to a Linksys router upstairs, and on the rare occasions I actually do want to use the internet on my PC in the basement, can I just plug in/activate the USB cable from the cable modem & use the internet that way & yet still have the router (now upstairs) still available.

Will this cause problems/can it even be done? Chances are quite slim that when I'd be using the internet via USB cable modem on the PC that my wife would want to also be online via the ethernet-connected Linksys wifi router at the same time.

Thanks for any help/suggestions/answers you might offer; hope this post isn't too hard to follow.

--JBF

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The G Bomb

The G Bomb

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:49 AM

I can't comment on using both Ethernet and USB connections of the Modem at the same time as I don't know, but the easiest option failing that might be to get a usb wireless adapter for the PC downstairs, that way it will at least be protected by any firewalls you have through the wireless router. If its a not often used machine and you do get some connectivity, then that should be pain free. I'm pretty sure they are quite cheap now.

The other alternative may be to get a modem with a firewall and 4-port switch built in. Something like the Netgear RP614, its a wired router with 4 Port Switch and NAT firewall, that way you can plug the pc into the modem downstairs and run the ethernet cable up as planned to plug in the wireless access point.

Hopefully someone else can give you the advice about the simultaneous USB and Ethernet connections to your modem.

#3 JaxBearsFan

JaxBearsFan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 03 July 2008 - 11:22 PM

I can't comment on using both Ethernet and USB connections of the Modem at the same time as I don't know, but the easiest option failing that might be to get a usb wireless adapter for the PC downstairs, that way it will at least be protected by any firewalls you have through the wireless router. If its a not often used machine and you do get some connectivity, then that should be pain free. I'm pretty sure they are quite cheap now.

The other alternative may be to get a modem with a firewall and 4-port switch built in. Something like the Netgear RP614, its a wired router with 4 Port Switch and NAT firewall, that way you can plug the pc into the modem downstairs and run the ethernet cable up as planned to plug in the wireless access point.

Hopefully someone else can give you the advice about the simultaneous USB and Ethernet connections to your modem.

Thank you for your suggestion; I should've mentioned that I'd thought about getting a USB wifi key; and at one time my PC did have such a connection (though it was an internal wifi adapter).

But now with the "PC Gaming" I do, I also do "Teamspeak" with some family/friends who like to play...so lots of bandwidth being consumed. I'm not sure even the latest/greatest USB wifi key can provide me enough speed to accommodate these gaming sessions.

Or can they? Anyone else have experience with the simultaneous connections (USB and ethernet) or sufficient speeds from wifi for gaming?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users