Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"You might not have permission to use this network source"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 debugport

debugport

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 10 April 2005 - 08:34 AM

I have been trying for two weeks to get my home network setup. I have a Linksys wireless router, an HP laptop w/ wireless network card and an HP desktop pc with an ethernet connection to the router. I can share the internet connection and I can "see" the desktop from my laptop, but I am unable to browse either computer. I receive a "you might not have permission to use this network source" message. I have XP on both computers. Help me before I check myself into an asylum!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,400 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2005 - 08:17 AM

Make sure that you have microsoft file and print sharing enabled in the network properties. Also make sure that you have the same usernames with the same passwords set up on each computer..thats helps a lot with this.

#3 debugport

debugport
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2005 - 09:46 AM

Grinler,

At the risk of sounding dumb.....what user names and passwords??? I have a user name and password for my laptop. I have nothing setup on my desktop. Are you referring to the computer or network name and network key??? Thanks for your help. :thumbsup:

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,400 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2005 - 11:08 AM

Well when setting up a workgroup you want the following done to make it easier:

1. They should all be on the same ip network (ie one computer has an ip address of 192.168.1.10 and the other has an ip address as 192.168.1.11)

2. They should have the same workgroup name

3. If you have a username on your computer named john with a password open. Then to make it easier for file sharing you want to put the same username and password on the other computer.

4. You need to share the folders that you want others to see. Right click on the folder and select share.

5. In the network connections properties of local area network, you want just microsoft file and print sharing installed and enabled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users