Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Install

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mestuprancid

mestuprancid

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:47 AM

My brothers computer ( Dell Optiplex GX260- running XP) has been really slow and lagging for the past month and I cant even get him on the wireless internet in my house which was the main reason I started working on it. I had reinstalled his nic card and he still wasnt able to obtain an IP address.

So I tried cleaning up the computer and nothing still so I wanted to reformat it and start over. He bought a refurbished PC with no OS on it. A friend of his came over and installed XP for him I guess.

I tried making XP bootable floppy disks from microsoft but I couldnt finish making all 6 disks ( only 5 because of sector problems Etc, which is another whole problem lol)

I found a disk he has which was a reinstallation disk with a serial number and i got that started and 3 files came up saying they couldnt be found durring install so I selected skip file and the install continued (which took over 2 hours) when it finishes the step preparing for installation it then restarted and I got the blue screen with the error ( File \$WIN_NT$.~BT\halaacpi.dll could not be loaded Error code is 7P)

Is there anyway at all i can reformat his PC and get XP from somewhere or somehow fix these errors to get a fresh windows running so I can then fix his problem with the wireless internet?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2008 - 03:34 PM

A reinstallation disk is only good for the computer that it came with. He's either going to have to buy a Windows XP CD or go with Linux, which is free
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 mestuprancid

mestuprancid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2008 - 04:45 PM

Even if the reinstallation cd i have with the serial number starts working but is missing files do i still need to get a new XP copy in order to fix his?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users