Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rover3500

rover3500

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:31 AM

Hi everyone.I have an ide drive and a sata2 drive.When i install xp from scratch, it always renames the ide drive as c: which i don't want,as it is only a backup drive. I thought of disabling it in the bios until finished, but it still does it! Is there a way to lock a letter to my sata drive, or does anyone know how vista works with this,as i dont have the problem with the vista os..have tried latest drivers as well...Thanx

Rover3500 :thumbsup:

Edited by rover3500, 30 June 2008 - 08:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,709 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:29 AM

Disconnect the IDE drive from the IDE interface, install XP onto the SATA drive. Shut down, reconnect the IDE drive.

On some boards, after reconnecting the IDE drive, you may need to go into the BIOS setup and ensure SATA is selected as the boot device ahead of the IDE, or you'll get "Operating System not found".

Edited by Platypus, 30 June 2008 - 09:34 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:23 AM

Just FYI - I've had this problem for years with XP and the SATA/IDE conflict. The biggest issue here (and one that's not visible to most users) is that the system will boot from the IDE drive and then will hand off to the OS on the SATA drive. This will increase your boot times significantly (IME). I'd also recommend a low-level format of the IDE drive so that the BIOS doesn't try to boot from it at any time.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users