Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Goback Slow Uninstall

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sakya

sakya

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 29 June 2008 - 11:18 PM

Well I've been attempting to uninstall Norton GoBack for about 4 hours now and its only on 30%. I uninstalled the rest of the norton suite from the add/remove programs panel and when I got to GoBack it uninstalled and when I restarted my comp it stopped at the GoBack page (after the boot phase but before the OS) and continued to uninstall but verrrrry slowly like I said goin on 4 hours now and its only at 30%. Has anyone else experienced this before? This doesnt seem normal I dont see why it should take this long to uninstall, any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 29 June 2008 - 11:37 PM

Certainly seems too slow sakya.

You may want to use Nortons own removal tool
http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgen...005033108162039

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 sakya

sakya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 11:40 PM

ok but can I just cancel the boot uninstall thing without messing anything up, and if so how? there is no cancel button i pushed every key on the keyboard do I just force shutdown the comp?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 30 June 2008 - 07:48 AM

Right-click on the taskbar and open Task Manager. It will indicate the hanging application and you can end it there
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 sakya

sakya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:34 AM

its not uninstalling in windows its doing it during the boot sequence right before the OS starts up, the only way I see to stop it is too turn off the comp.

#6 Trevuren

Trevuren

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,006 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:59 AM

You may want to give this a shot:

How to remove changes that GoBack makes to the boot sector and partition tables of a computer

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/gobac...001092611363307
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2008 - 2009

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users