Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rip, My Computer?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 computers hate me

computers hate me

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 29 June 2008 - 10:30 PM

My Gateway computer is only 6 months old and while on the internet today, it gave me the following error

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0f: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.

This was after it flashed a blue screen that said something about kernels :huh:

I researched solutions online and they told me to go into my BIOS settings and rearrange the boot priority order to

hd
floppy
cd
Something like that.. The only problem is that in the Boot Priority order, there is only the option for IDE CD AND PCI BEV Realtek Boot Agent .. There is no floppy or cd available for selection!

I am so hopelessly lost and very stupid when it comes to computers. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:47 AM

Click on the document CH000229 relating to a similar error message and scroll down to read all of it.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000706.htm

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 aysebean

aysebean

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:07 PM

find a local trusty pc shop and have them do a disk error check on your computer. if it is better after that and starts doing it again your hard drive is shot. or you could save yourslef the trouble and just get a new hard drive to replace the old one..i hope you made restore disks :huh:

#4 aysebean

aysebean

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:09 PM

find a local trusty pc shop and have them do a disk error check on your computer. if it is better after that and starts doing it again your hard drive is shot. or you could save yourslef the trouble and just get a new hard drive to replace the old one..i hope you made restore disks :huh:

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:06 AM

In most cases the PXE message means that the computer tried and failed to boot from a network device. This is the last item in the boot sequence, so it tries to boot from it if it can't find anything else to boot from.

So, that means that it couldn't boot from your hard drive. As there's no entry available for your hard drive, I'd have to suspect that the hard drive has gone bad (the IDE CD is the CD drive on your system).

To check this out, you'll have to download a free, bootable diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive. You'll have to peek inside the case (after unplugging the system from the wall and grounding yourself on the metal of the case) in order to find out who made the hard drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 computers hate me

computers hate me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2008 - 08:34 PM

Thanks for the responses everyone, I appreciate it.. I am IRATE!!

What could cause a hard drive to go bad after less than SIX MONTHS?

#7 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 01 July 2008 - 09:19 PM

What could cause a hard drive to go bad after less than SIX MONTHS?

Many things. SATA hard drives are notorious for how easy they can be damaged.

Things that can damage a harddrive include:
*High temperature
*Physical damage

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#8 computers hate me

computers hate me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2008 - 09:44 PM

Oh no, its all making sense now :huh: I left my laptop on my couch and a pillow was blocking the fan on the side, when I returned it was very hot. must have fried it. How much will a new hard drive run me?

#9 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 01 July 2008 - 09:57 PM

Oh no, its all making sense now I left my laptop on my couch and a pillow was blocking the fan on the side, when I returned it was very hot. must have fried it. How much will a new hard drive run me?

Haha... been there, done that :huh:

Take a look here for a good idea on costs:
http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.as...top-Hard-Drives

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2008 - 03:16 PM

With the make and model of your computer we can usually figure out what type and size hard drive you'll need.

But, before running out and buying a hard drive, I'd suggest that you download a diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of the hard drive and test the drive to see if it is indeed bad.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users