Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Media Player Stoped Opening

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gokudanny89

gokudanny89

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 29 June 2008 - 08:55 PM

My windows media player stopped opening in regular mode recently. I don't know the reason. I tried opening it in administrator mode and it works but just trying to open it by double clicking on the shortcut or opening it in the folder that it is held in does'nt work for some reason. can someone please help me.

Thank You,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2008 - 05:59 AM

Can you set the shortcut to Run as Administrator? Right click on the shortcut and select Properties, then select the Compatibility tab and put a check in the "Run as administrator" box.

Or, as you find the main executable for it, you can do the same with that file.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 gokudanny89

gokudanny89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 06:20 PM

Now that I did that it opens but my media files still won't open with windows media player.

Thanks for the reply

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 06:40 PM

Are you given any error messages as to why the files are not opening?
Regards,

Alan.

#5 K()nT3nTs

K()nT3nTs

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 08:12 PM

Right click on the media files and click on Open with... Then select WMP and hit the check box that says "always use this program for this type of file" and see if that works.

#6 gokudanny89

gokudanny89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 11:08 PM

No I don't get any error messeges. And I tried right clicking and making that file type open with windows media player but it still dosn't open.

#7 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 09 July 2008 - 12:07 AM

Things to check:
Have you installed any new programs, updated drivers or downloaded any new Windows updates?

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#8 gokudanny89

gokudanny89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 12:32 AM

Thanks for the help guys. But I found out what the problem was. It had to do with my registry I cleaned and defraged it and it started to work.

Thank you for all your help

#9 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 09 July 2008 - 03:05 AM

Well done gokudanny89, :huh: Thanks for letting us know.

On a side note, be careful when using registry cleaner as they can cause damage.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users