Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking For Drivers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JXBlack

JXBlack

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:38 PM

I would like to find some software that will look at my drivers and suggest and/or find current versions. Also interest to know if there are any good web sites that will do the same thing.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:54 PM

Hello JXBlack,

The majority of sites pertaining to updating drivers are usually subscription based. However, http://www.innovative-sol.com/drivermax/ is a useful program It does not provide the actual drivers, but finds to ones out of date. Then a browse on the manufacturers website will usually find the driver.

For some software and windows updates I would advise http://secunia.com/ as Microsoft put updates to hardware on Microsoft update website.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 JXBlack

JXBlack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:11 PM

Thank you very much for your reply.

I have installed DriverMax and it shows 10 drivers that it says re :Not digitally signed"
What does this mean?

All are the others are described as either " digitally signed" or "default windows driver"

I have a lot of Microsoft 5.1.2600.x dated 1 July 2001. Do these need to be udated?

Thanks again

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 03 July 2008 - 05:15 AM

If a driver is not digitally signed, it is just a driver that Microsoft has not checked out. A driver is software that helps communication with hardware. For example printing a document. the computer can't communicate with the printer unless there is a driver that can act as a translator.

An updated driver will in most cases provide better performance, more stability, enhanced security and so on. It is always good practice to update your drivers. The hard part is finding them.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users