Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rlight

rlight

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:03 PM

Greetings,
Currently I do not have any detectable issues with malware, trojans, etc., but my question is this. Should a person periodically run some kind of scan to detect malware, trojans, etc. that may be hidden in my computer. If the answer is yes, what steps would I need to take?

thanks
rlight

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:18 PM

Hello rlight,

Yes you should be running some form of malware scan every so often. ie once a week.

Do you have any security products installed on your system?
You will need to update them before any scan is performed.
You should have 1 firewall, 1 antivirus, and 1 or more anti spyware products.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 rlight

rlight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 09:09 PM

I have Zonealarm and AVG running on my computer. I've run the AVG virus scan periodically and have had nothing show up. Is there other scan programs that I should be using?

rlight

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 29 June 2008 - 09:52 PM

That sounds OK, as long as the programs are all up to date, also http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html the first few categories should be looked at.

You may want to keep other programs patched to avoid potential security holes using http://secunia.com/
Regards,

Alan.

#5 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2008 - 01:47 PM

I have Zonealarm and AVG running on my computer

May I add Spywareblaster and Superantispyware to your list.
Make sure everything is update. Spywareblaster is not a scan it will help you when surfing on the internet.
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
http://www.superantispyware.com/
Those links are where you can download them.
Good luck :thumbsup:
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#6 rlight

rlight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:08 PM

Thanks I appreciate all your imput.

rlight

#7 3xist

3xist

• Banned
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 01 July 2008 - 01:18 AM

SUPERAntispyware Free
Malware Bytes Antimalware

They are GREAT! :thumbsup:

Josh

#8 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:32 PM

Hi Just wanted to mention something.
MalwareBytes Anti-malware is an On-Demand Scanner. Just because you have a On-Demand Scanner doesn't mean you don't need another Anti-virus program that is On-Access Scanner. Your AVG is good because it is an On-Access Scanner. Didn't want you to uninstall AVG 8.0 and replace it with malware Byes anti-malware. I am not saying that, that is a bad program I am just saying you still need an On-Access Scanner which is a scanner that run in the background all the time the PC is turned on and running. On-Access scanner is to monitor activity on your machine. That is why you need an On-Access Scanner such as AVG. You can still install malwarebytes anti-malware just don't remove AVG unless you are getting another On-Access Scanner.
good luck :thumbsup:
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users