Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

clean machine? can it ever be new again?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 igonuts2

igonuts2

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 10 April 2005 - 01:15 AM

presario sr1200nx
xp home sp2

my wifes pc has been jacked, trojed, and wormed. man that sounds gross.
all problems have been delt with, thanks to bc.
not all problems were fixed. some were side stepped and some are deleted and reinst.

id like to know that she has the same pc that she got for xmas.

i need to clean the regestry and we cant just plug the cammera in and dl. the printer is also rerouted. win32 has to close alot. hp connect has a runner error.
all these thing either work or arent needed. we just have to do things other than the way they were ment to. two different adwares thats there but disabled.

all the effort to clean this and fix that.

the chase;
can it be new again?
if the pc was wiped clean, so to speak and os back up reinstalled would it be new again?

its a case of, "if i new then what i know now" thing.

if so, there is one major question.
we did the ultimate no no.
we turned it on and plugged into the net. only thing we installed was ie.
and we got bit.
this pc had no back up discks. we were to dl a partitioned os and pc tools onto cds. this was done, but after we got bit.
we didnt have inadequat protection, we had none. our door was open.

can it be new or sould we stick it out and address each problem?

advise would be appritiated.

thanks
igo

Edited by igonuts2, 10 April 2005 - 01:21 AM.

Why work when you can play!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 windowsxp550

windowsxp550

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 10 April 2005 - 02:14 AM

Hi igonuts2,

To answer your question, simply, yes.

In order to get the computer like new again, you will have to do a Complete wipe of the hard drive. So, I suggest you backup all of your important files that you don't want to lose before doing the wipe.

Then after you are done backing up. The best wipe, in my opinion, would be by a utility provided by your hard drive manufacturer. Most of the HP's that I have worked with have Samsung HDD, but you to be certain, if you don't know then I suggest popping open your pc and looking at the label on the Hard Drive.

Once you have determined the manufacturer, go to their website and look for a utility that does a low level hard drive format. Usually these are all DOS programs.

Follow the directions provided by the hd manufacturer and do a low level format of your hard drive. Basically what it does is write zeros to the entire drive. THis takes a long time...depending on how big your drive is (it can take anywhere from 3 to 10 or more hours.

once you have wiped, then pop in either your windows cd or your HP CD (I think HP's come with a HP install cd that has the operating system on it). After that install windows and you should be set.

Hope that helps
Free PC Help: At FixMyXP.com, our Speciality is Windows XP.
Got An XP Problem or Question? Get expert help, all free Check it out!
Click Here to go to FixMyXP's Windows XP Help Forum

#3 igonuts2

igonuts2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2005 - 05:55 PM

yo yanowhiz,

so where do i start?

i guess i need something i can print, cause once i start i cant get advise.

also, my backup disks were burned after we got infected.
they were partitioned in d drive. are they tainted?

thanx,
igo

#4 igonuts2

igonuts2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2005 - 09:29 PM

now when i empty the recycle bin it says "are you sure you want to delete these 8 items?"

the recycle bin is empty.......... whats up whith that? :thumbsup: :flowers:

#5 CyberLemon

CyberLemon

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2005 - 09:59 PM

Hi igonuts2,

Perhaps that's because there are hidden items/files. Go to "My Computer", at the top, click Tools--> Folder Options, move to the "View" tab, scroll down a bit, and tick the "Show hidden files and folders" option, now click "OK", enter the Recycle Bin once more, and see if you had any hidden files.

Hope that helped you out a bit... ^-^"

#6 igonuts2

igonuts2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2005 - 11:00 PM

ck'd all that. thank you. dont know if i should delete files that arent, there?

(where did i put those files)

popped up after sys restore, after scans fer adware.

igo

#7 CyberLemon

CyberLemon

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2005 - 11:15 PM

igonuts2 - Well, if you're not sure what those files were, you can simply Google the file names, ask here, or just empty your Recycle Bin, they wouldn't get there for no reason.

:thumbsup:

#8 igonuts2

igonuts2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2005 - 12:00 AM

what?

#9 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 12 April 2005 - 01:30 AM

igonuts2 - Have you decided to rebuild your (wife's) system from scratch?
If so you need to list what information is on the machine that you want to keep. Its probably a good idea to get a hard copy of your Product Key. Use this:
http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml
Then you should think about what's in your PC unique to you e.g. Documents, emails, photos, music etc. Also make sure you know your ISP details so you can recreate the network connection. Save your bookmarks. Copy down registration details of your anti-virus program and any other programs you had to register online.
If you have loaded applications you will have to re-install them from the original disks - check you can still find them. Similarly for the motherboard and AGP drivers and any other devices in your PC - make sure you have the driver CDs that would have come with the original package although with HP these are probably all included on the recovery CD.

When the system is reloaded with Windows follow this tutorial before connecting to the internet:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/Ste...rnet-tut86.html

Hope this helps.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2005 - 02:15 PM

Before you open your computer and possibly void the manufacturer's warranty, download and use Everest Home Edition, an evolution of AIDA 32 which will tell you all you can possibly need to know about what components are installed in your computer, info on the motherboard, memory, etc, and info on every software application including the op system that is installed in your machine.

http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.p...ang=en&pageid=3

#11 igonuts2

igonuts2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2005 - 06:36 PM

ty all,
willreadup on the tips.
igo