Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Majorly Unresponsive Laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bachiatari

Bachiatari

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 29 June 2008 - 06:48 PM

I have a four-year old Gateway M675PRR with Windows XP SP3.

I had a previous problem with Windows not booting, a flash of blue screen, and an unresponsive Bios. I used the Windows CD to override the problem and boot the computer and then managed to use Gateway's repair program to restore the registry to a working state. After that, I got Windows to work normally, ran EVERYTHING, and weeded a Win32.Downloader Trojan with AdAware2007. I ran AdAware and SpyBot and Defrag and AdAware some more several more times since then, and once before I shut it down on Friday evening. Everything was clean and clear.

This evening I went to turn on my computer again, and everything was going fine until once again, I got a flash of a blue error screen, and then the computer began to reboot itself again. This time, the screen with the option to boot in Safe Mode appeared, and I was ready to select 'run in Safe Mode' when I realized that THAT whole screen had frozen. I had no choice but to manually restart the computer again, and now while the fans run steadily as ever, even the monitor will not turn on.

For now, I have unplugged everything from everything, removed the laptop from its usual position, and removed the battery.

Help. Is my poor Lappy finally dead beyond the point of no return, or is there some cure I can jolt it back to life again with? ^^;

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 30 June 2008 - 03:06 PM

It sounds like the system is set to automatically reboot on failure. Can you get in to windows at all? If so follow this tutorial on how to stop the automatic reboot and set the system to create a memory dump.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 Bachiatari

Bachiatari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 01:29 PM

Thanks for replying. Well, I called tech support and currently the laptop is enroute to professional help. If they can get the BIOS to start running again, I will certainly try what you have suggested.

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 01:51 PM

No problem, glad to help.
Regards,

Alan.

#5 Bachiatari

Bachiatari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 10:36 PM

Well, just to give this thread some closure, after many phone calls to MCCorp tech support and many a FedEx delivery, my laptop has new BIOS, new fans, a new memory chip, harddrive, motherboard and LCD screen. Now it runs like new. Ultimately, the Trojans were the least of my problems. >.>; (Though I suspect they probably didn't help anything, either.) One thing's for sure, the four-year warranty (which luckily hadn't completely expired and is actually still binding until August 17th) paid for itself in full.

Thanks again so much, though. ^.^

Edited by Bachiatari, 24 July 2008 - 10:39 PM.

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 06:19 AM

Thats great news, thanks for letting us know how it turned out. :thumbsup:
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users