Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Desktop And Windows Xp Laptop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gearstix

Gearstix

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 29 June 2008 - 05:33 PM

This is driving me insane!

I recieved a Toshiba A70 laptop on a trade, and I just reformatted it last night and put Windows XP Service Pack 2 on it. I have a HP Pavilion desktop with Windows Vista.

I'm trying to set up a file sharing network between the two, so while I'm in my house, I can share documents and files between the two. Laptop is wireless, and the desktop is wired into the router via ethernet cable.

I've looked at the Microsoft articles, and installed a certain update on the XP machine. No avail. I had a network setup a long time ago with my old laptop and my old desktop, but they were both running XP.

I can't seem to get the two to connect...
:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 29 June 2008 - 06:42 PM

Hello Gearstix and welcome,

Can both systems connect to the internet through the router?
What security products are installed on each system? A firewall is designed to prevent unauthorised access to your system, the systems in question might be aware of each other but the firewall is not allowing them to metaphorically talk to each other.
http://www.networkmagic.com/ might help solve the problem.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 Gearstix

Gearstix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:04 PM

Sorry, what I meant is I cannot get the two to network together. Both are connected to the internet, and I am writing this on my laptop which is wireless.
Both have AVG Free for anti virus and no firewall.

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:16 PM

On the XP laptop, press the run key and the windows key. type cmd and press enter. a new window will appear. type ipconfig and press enter.

You will need to make a note of
1. IP address,
2. Subnet mask,
3. Default gateway.

Do this again on the vista laptop and make note of the above.

The IP address is the name of the computer which should be different from the other system.
The Subnet mask is the 'group' the computers belong too which should be the same.
The default gateway is the router. both computers should have the same default gateway.
Regards,

Alan.

#5 Gearstix

Gearstix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:23 PM

it all checks out.

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:40 PM

That is good, its configured correctly then.

Now to see if they can communicate with each other, on the XP machine bring up the command prompt (cmd) and use the ping function. The ping function is a utility that will in essence say hello to another computer and wait for a response.

Type ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx where 'x' is the IP address for the other computer. eg ping 123.123.123.123 it should ping the other computer a few times and return information.
Take note of the TTL and the % package loss.
Regards,

Alan.

#7 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:43 PM

Also forgot to mention, try the above on the vista machine too.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users