Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Bad Capacitor On Motherboard.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 msblueeyez

msblueeyez

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 29 June 2008 - 05:16 PM

My System: Microsoft Windows Xp
Media Center Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Manufactured by: Emachines
T6522
AMD Athlon™Processor
3500+
2.19GHz. 896MB of Ram

I have been having problems with my pc. The graphics have been really bad. Also my pc will not start up sometimes. i will turn it on and it hangs, the fans work and the lights turn on but no beeps and nothing on the screen. So i have to restart. Sometimes it comes on and sometimes not. I have always kept the dust bunnies out. I also put in a new cmos battery and went into the bios and reset the time as needed. But it still does this. I have checked my hd on another pc and it is fine I have a integrated graphic card on the motherboard. So I have done alot of checking around and found that it could be that I have a or some bad capacitors so i opened my pc up and low and behold I have one that is or has leaked. I have someone that is going to give me a pc tower with the motherboard on it. The only thing that they took out was the power supply and the dvd rw. So I thought that I could take the power supply out of mine and put the one they are given me. My question is, How do I check my power supply to make sure that it is ok before i put it onto the other pc. Also can anyone tell me did emachine stop buying from the taiwon company that made the bad capacitors? Thanks Trish!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:32 PM

They make commercial PS testers:
http://www.newegg.com/
or if you have a voltmeter there are other ways to check.
eMachines have been getting better from what I hear. I believe Gateway bought them out

Edited by garmanma, 29 June 2008 - 07:33 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 msblueeyez

msblueeyez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:54 PM

I bought this emachine from circuit city in 2005. When I bought it the sells person told me that gateway had bought the emachines. Thanks for the info

#4 msblueeyez

msblueeyez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 08:09 PM

I have another question for you? I read somewhere that emachines have made their pc not take any other windows start up disc. It must be the one that came with the system. If I get this friends pc with their motherboard, would i need their start up disc? I am not sure if she is giving me the hd or not or since my hd is fine could i put mine in. I am not that pc knowledgeable. Thanks

by the way here is a good one:

eMachines is a latin word meaning "Quit while you are behind

Edited by msblueeyez, 29 June 2008 - 08:11 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 30 June 2008 - 01:54 AM

If you have a legal copy of XP installed you can use any copy of the installation CD as long as it is the same version of what you have installed, like XP Home, or Pro.. You will need to have a valid product code.

Some manufacturers like Dell have a separate partition on the hdd for System Restore, this partition contains an image of the operating system as it came from the factory which is used to reinstall it.

When you take a hdd with a Windows OS installed on it that you have been using on one computer and then install it as a master in another computer you are asking for major problems. The excerpt below is from an article from Intel which describes in detail what happens. The article also mentions a reference to an article by Microsoft, it can be seen here .

"Moving a hard drive with Windows* 2000 or Windows XP* already installed to a new motherboard without reinstalling the operating system is not recommended.

If a hard drive is moved to a new computer, the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware on the new motherboard are not installed in Windows for the new computer and you may not be able to start Windows. This is documented in Microsoft's* knowledge base article †. This is true even if you move the hard drive to a motherboard with the same chipset, as different hardware revisions can cause this issue as well.

Additionally, moving a hard drive to a new motherboard may not exhibit any errors until you install new IDE drivers. This is because each chipset uses a different Plug-n-Play (PNP) ID to identify it. If you move your motherboard, your registry will have multiple PNP IDs (for the old hardware as well as the new hardware). If there are multiple entries in the registry, Windows cannot determine which hardware to initialize and therefore fails with a STOP error."

Edited by dc3, 30 June 2008 - 02:04 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 30 June 2008 - 02:11 AM

"My question is, How do I check my power supply to make sure that it is ok before i put it onto the other pc"

How to test a PSU.

Caution:
This procedure will involve working with live 12VDC electrical potentials which if handled improperly may lead to electrical shock. Proper precautions should also be taken to prevent electrostatic discharges (ESDs) within the case of the computer. For safety purposes please follow the instructions step by step.

First, shutdown your computer. Then unplug the power cable going into your computer.

Once you have opened the case, touch the metal of the case to discharge any static electricity.

The connector of the PSU which connects to the motherboard is readily recognizable by the number of wires in the bundle. To disconnect it you will need to press on the plastic clip to disengage it and then pull the connector up and away from the motherboard. Please take notice of the location of the locking tab and the notch on the socket of the motherboard, this will only connect one way as it is keyed. This wire bundle will have a memory of the way it has been installed and will want to bend back that direction, you may have to play around with it to find a position that the connector will stay in the same position while you run the test.

Posted Image

From the top left to right the pins are 13-24, the bottom from left to right are 1-12.

Please notice that there are PSUs with 24 pin and 20 pin connectors, the location of the green wire in the 24 pin connector is #16, and the green wire in the 20 pin connector is #14. If you look at the connector with socket side facing you and the clip on the top the number one pin will be on the bottom left corner. This makes the pin out for the 24 pin connector from left to right 13-24 on top, and 1-12 on the bottom. The pin out for the 20 pin connector from left to right is 11-20 on top , and 1-10 on the bottom. If you look at the connectors you notice that these are sockets that fit over the pins on the motherboard where the PSU cable attaches, this is where you will place the jumper. For a jumper you will need a piece of solid wire about the size of a paper clip (20-22 awg), preferably a wire with insulation. It will need to be large enough to fit firmly into the socket so that it will not need to be held in place while testing. You are at risk of electrical shock if you are holding the jumper when you power up the PSU. Insert one end of the jumper into the socket of the Green wire, and insert the other end into the socket of any Black wire.

Once the jumper is in place plug the cord back in. If the PSU is working properly the case fans, optical drives, hdds, and LEDs should power up and remain on. I would suggest that you not leave this connected any longer than is necessary for safety purposes.

At this point you can use a DC Voltage meter to read the different rail Voltages. You will want to insert the black probe into any of the Black (-) sockets, and insert the Red (+) probe in the five different colored sockets. Below are the five different colors and their corresponding rail voltages.

Yellow +12VDC
Blue -12VDC

Red +5VDC
White -5VDC

Orange +3.3VDC

To reconnect the 20/4 pin connector unplug the power cord, remove the jumper, and reconnect the connector. Take a moment at this time to make sure that nothing has been dislodged inside the case.

Edited by dc3, 30 June 2008 - 03:33 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 msblueeyez

msblueeyez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2008 - 02:23 AM

Thank you so much for the info!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users