Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Flash drive error

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Lil Rizy

Lil Rizy

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 09 April 2005 - 11:48 PM

I have a Kingston 256MB USB flash drive. When ever I try to copy/save any data on it I get a error message. (connot copy [filename] the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error). I flash my motherboard Bios, but it still dent solve the problem. I even reinstalled a fresh windows xp pro sp2. But same problem. I installed different motherboard driver for usb but still not working. But the usb flash drive key works on any computer but my. However I can read any other data on it but cannot copy to it.

What is wrong with my USB flash key?

Computer specification

Windows XP pro SP2
Pentium 4 2.4GHz
1.00GB of Ram
Intel D845WN board
PCI devices
Sound blaster audigy
Radeon 9600 XT
Modem and NIC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 windowsxp550

windowsxp550

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 10 April 2005 - 12:30 AM

Hi Lil Rizy,

First question I would ask you is, if other USB devices work on the USB slot you are using. I built my system and have built many others...on almost all of them, some of the USB ports are not plugged into the motherboard by default. So, if no USB devices work in that USB slot, that could be why. Another reason (if no device works in the USB Slot) could be that it is not enabled in your BIOS. Check that and make sure that your BIOS has USB devices enabled.

If other USB devices DO work, then my next suggestion would be to check out your device manager (Start then Run, then devmgmt.msc) then look at your USB controllers. Do you see any conflicts?
Free PC Help: At FixMyXP.com, our Speciality is Windows XP.
Got An XP Problem or Question? Get expert help, all free Check it out!
Click Here to go to FixMyXP's Windows XP Help Forum

#3 Lil Rizy

Lil Rizy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2005 - 01:12 PM

hey windowsxp550 thanks for taking time helping me

First of all, all other USB ports work with any devices except for the flash key. I even use one USB port for printer. I unplugged USB port for printer and test the flash key in same port, but still dent work. However it might be a conflict with other USB ports or problem with my motherboard. I also build this computer for my self. So I checked USB plug on motherboard it looks right. But that is only for front usb not back usb ports. here is what I have.

Universal serial bus controllers
Generic USB HUB
Intel®82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host controller -2442
Intel®82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host controller -2442
USB Mass Storage Device
USB Printer Support
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2005 - 01:22 PM

It's weird that they work for other devices. Did you try to uninstall them and reboot your computer? XP will set them up again on start-up. Make sure you disconnect all devices connected to them.
JC

#5 Lil Rizy

Lil Rizy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2005 - 01:51 PM

hey

yaa I uninstall them but windows xp restored then all again in startup.

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2005 - 02:18 PM

First of all, all other USB ports work with any devices except for the flash key.

It might be a Microsoft problem.

Check out this thread, and scroll down to the post by Zed on Saturday, April 2nd. He seems to have found a fix that worked for him.

FastFat fix

#7 Lil Rizy

Lil Rizy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2005 - 03:09 PM

hey Herk

i went to that web site and tried that fix, but it dent work.

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 10 April 2005 - 04:44 PM

When ever I try to copy/save any data on it I get a error message.

Can you read data from it? Is the flash drive listed in My Computer when you plug it in?

If the answers are 'yes' then check the write-protect switch on the flash-disk.

Edited by Rimmer, 10 April 2005 - 04:44 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#9 Lil Rizy

Lil Rizy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2005 - 11:42 PM

hey

yaa I can read data from it. But cannot copy to it only on my computer. Yes it is listed in my computer when I plug in. ...what write-protect switch on the flash-disk. Is there something like that? Anyway it's only on one system that does not work but any other system it works. So I think it Intel motherboard problem. It may not support this type of flash key. Donít know!

#10 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 12 April 2005 - 12:11 AM

sorry -you did say you could read from it in your first post - missed that.
Some Flash disks have a tiny, physical write-protect switch on them. I thought if it was on it might fit the situation you describe but you say it reads and writes in other systems.

So I think it Intel motherboard problem. It may not support this type of flash key.

The board just has to support USB, its the operating system that works out what kind of device it is and whether it is supported.

Other than searching for similar reported problems, and trying to borrow another disk of the same sort to try on your system, I can't think of anything. :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users